PDA

View Full Version : visor LCD's

adashio
07-06-2007, 03:40 AM
anyone have INSTALLED lcd monitors in their visors?

im looking for some way to install lcd's into my car and headrests and visors seem to be the easiest way. ebay has some cheap plasticky visor LCD's which would look very strange i reckon

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Sun-Visor-DVD-Player-w-Game-USB-SD-MMC-Card-7-LCD-Monit_W0QQitemZ280129886607QQihZ018QQcategoryZ6777 2QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

whats the easiest best looking way to install LCD's in these cars! any site people could recommend. prices....photos of your installed lcd's would be excellent

BigKriss
07-06-2007, 04:26 AM
not something done on this forum. maybe you'll have better luck on one of the holden or ford forums

leicesterboy15
07-06-2007, 05:35 AM
I've got a flip out Alpine screen with cd changer, satnav and Ipod connection in the boot and dvd player under the passenger seat. You can't have a double din as far as i know because of the heater controls without major customisation of the dash although it would look superb.

For the back I adapted a portable CD player stand and fitted a screen to it and attached the other end to the side of the centre console towards the back (you can just see it in the photo). I thought about head rest screens which look the nuts but there isn't much space in the back of an e34 even in my touring and when I test fitted a screen to the headrest it was too close to the baby seat and would have been kicked to death or sent my daughter blind!!
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/brighterbuys/My%20Stuff/IMG_2022.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/brighterbuys/My%20Stuff/IMG_2024.jpg

adashio
07-06-2007, 07:47 AM
wow that looks great up the front, would of cost you a bundle. i think the single din will be the only option, a double din would be ALOT cheaper but major mods needed. the visors look cheap and nasty, still...would love little 4 inch lcds to simply replace the visor mirrors, because then you even have a plastic screen to protect them but who knows....i need the correct depth and space for wiring. it could be very possible, switch needed for lights to prevent glare.... oh the possabilities.yeah you might get the feared square eyes if you sit that close to screens in the backseats. your setup looks pretty good. well done

Ross
07-06-2007, 08:43 AM
The visors are to keep the sun from your eyes not for television.

adashio
07-06-2007, 08:53 AM
the visors are to keep the sun out of your eyes, not to do your makeup with (thats why the mirrors ARE their for) :p. there can be multifunctional....its the perfect spot for them, non intrusive (hopefully)

i never really understood why they put a mirror on the drivers side, women would be puttin their faces on and not watching the road!! but i suppose if it wasnt their theyd use the rearview mirror.....

Ferret
07-06-2007, 09:03 AM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/brighterbuys/My%20Stuff/IMG_2024.jpg

I spy a tescos clubcard!

leicesterboy15
07-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Thanks! Was just a quick fix really. When I bought the car it had a lot of kit but was installed really badly and there was no display on the headunit, you had to open the screen to do anything. There were cables everywhere so I decided to rip it all out and start again. I thought I would do the whole lot cheaply to build the base and then upgrade each component individually.
I upgraded the screen to this one which allows you to everything with the screen closed just like a normal stereo which is a lot less hassle and also has a removable panel which is a must!

The screen in the back and the dvd player were £60 but I'm well impressed with them. I need a more slimline way of mounting the monitor in the back, thought about a flip down roof mounted job but don't have a clue how to install it!

I built a box for the boot that allows easy access to the satnav cd changer and ipod but doesn't affect the boot space and I've added a tv tuner as well which is quite cool.

Next step is to upgrade all the speakers and get a better screen in the back.

Its not that much, I think the whole lot cost me about £450 which is not that bad when you consider how many bits there are. Was a lot of effort to install it though, you'd be surprised how little space there is behind the panels in the car for wires and the dash was a very tight fit!

leicesterboy15
07-06-2007, 09:44 AM
I spy a tescos clubcard!

Well Spotted! Every Little Helps!

Ross
07-06-2007, 09:53 AM
Just my opinion. There are already too many distracted drivers and I was trying to discourage you from being one of them.

Ferret
07-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Well Spotted! Every Little Helps!

Haha, can I buy your 535 with my clubcard points?

Wonder what clubcard points I could sell my 525tds for.

leicesterboy15
07-06-2007, 10:23 AM
You would need to spend £5000 at tescos to buy my 535 at £500!

Just my opinion. There are already too many distracted drivers and I was trying to discourage you from being one of them.

Very true, i don't recommend you watch it yourself but if you're stuck in traffic on a long journey a young child watching DVDs in the back of the car as opposed to screaming means everyone is calm and relaxed and the driver can concentrate on the job of driving :-)

Jon K
07-06-2007, 10:36 AM
http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/My%20E34%20525i%20Interior/dash5.jpg

leicesterboy15
07-06-2007, 11:17 AM
How did you do that?!! That is superb! Wheres the other heater controller and whats the bit by the gear stick? And the red button on the dash? Looks like there are plenty of toys in there!

Jon K
07-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Fiberglass and about 6 hrs of time.

NEVER PRESS THE RED BUTTON!

adashio
07-07-2007, 06:50 AM
oh no i would never install a dvd screen on the DRIVERS side, thats just silly. i would only install one on the passenger side as well as the back seats. now i know what your talking about, sorry for being a little snappy, but i still dont understand why they put a mirror on the drivers side, a driver should be driving and thats it....

Ferret
07-07-2007, 07:14 AM
You would need to spend £5000 at tescos to buy my 535 at £500!

500 quid? o.O
I've been lookin for one on ebay in that price bracket as a bit of a weekend car :p

It's not an auto is it?

leicesterboy15
07-08-2007, 04:08 PM
Its a 5 speed manual. My 540 is an auto but I think i'm gonna price up a 6 speed conversion as my torque converter is on its way out a believe which will cost about £1000 to fix anyway! I'm hoping I can add another £500 to that and get a conversion.