PDA

View Full Version : 540 6sp transmission shifting problems

marckula
07-05-2007, 12:58 PM
I have a 95 540 with about 191,000 miles. Last year I had the UUC short shifter installed during a clutch job. I understand that these short shifters can make the transmission a littler harder to shift since you lose leverage but my transmission is clunky and really stubborn to shift particularly between 1st and 2nd gears. Also, it feels like there's some mis-alignment somewhere, like I have to rattle the shifter around sometimes and get it in the perfect position to shift gears.

Has anyone any similar experience and do you know if this is fixable or symptomatic of something else?

Shankster
07-06-2007, 07:47 PM
A few things to check:

- Maybe worthwhile to change the trans fluid just for ships and giggles. I did mine last weekend with Mobil 1 ATF and its smoother than a babys behind. Before this, had notchy shifting when the trans was cold.

- Engine mounts or trans mounts. Maybe if these are toast, it allows things to get misaligned.

Any popping out of gear? I looked through the POs service records and found this doozy at 98kmiles.
"Customer states trans pops out of reverse and second gear." Resolution, Install new transmission, clutch, flywheel, flex disc etc etc. Total damage was close to 7 large. Hope that isnt the problem with yours.

marckula
07-07-2007, 11:01 AM
thanks for the advice. I replaced both engine mounts and transmission mounts last year so I think those are ok. I'll try the fluid idea and see how that works. I'm still convinced that it might be something mechanical though.

Sometimes when I push in the clutch I get a low 'boom' sound from the driveline.

525SEI BRIT
07-07-2007, 11:10 AM
thanks for the advice. I replaced both engine mounts and transmission mounts last year so I think those are ok. I'll try the fluid idea and see how that works. I'm still convinced that it might be something mechanical though.

Sometimes when I push in the clutch I get a low 'boom' sound from the driveline.

similer issuse espish when very cold but not really that bad just notchy! it is a 6speed and has done nearley 200 thow! put it down as carector! but if u find a solution let me know.