PDA

View Full Version : Need Review: PaintScratch.com

Macv
07-04-2007, 11:16 PM
I'm looking for some nice touch up paint in spray can form.

Somebody pointed me to paintscratch.com and they had a great selection of BMW paint.

Has anybody on the forums used them before? If so, how was the transaction and how well did you like the paint match?

Post what color you bought as well, hopefully someone has used Granite Silver?

stargazer_61
07-05-2007, 08:06 AM
Ordered Oxford Green Metallic from them a couple of months ago to respray my rear bumper & front grille. Provide them your paint code and you're all set. Easy transaction & information on the progress of your order was good. I checked with a local body shop supply & that paint is about $100/quart, and I don't have the spray equipment, so this looked like a good option.

They had to mix the paint & mail it GROUND because it is an aerosol, so it took about two weeks from order to receipt from West Coast to East Coast. They provide you with two spray nozzels to choose your coverage pattern. I went with the one which kept the mist in a vertical pattern vs. a round pattern and it went on with no problem & dried fast. Color match was dead on and my shabby, sun-faded rear bumper looks great now. They give you detailed instructions as to how to apply & finish the job. I am a much better at mechanics than body work, but still managed to get the results I was looking for. One can did the grille & bumper, but just barely, with run retouching.

Keep in mind that you must use a clear coat after the base coat. I did not buy clear from them. I used Wurth instead, because I had it.

Bottom line is that I will use them again if I need more.

Macv
07-05-2007, 03:31 PM
How many did you purchase?

Sounds like I'll be painting the same piece as yourself.

Russell
07-05-2007, 06:14 PM
Glad to see that someone has resprayed the rear bumper themselves. I have had two body shops give quotes or $400-$500 just to remove the bumper and repaint it. I worked in a body shop many-many years ago. I can prep. Just no spray gun.

I also have Oxford green with a faded rear bumper, mostly on teh passenger side. Wonder if the 95s had a factory spraying issue?

Chowchilla Skunkwerks
07-05-2007, 10:40 PM
I've used them twice. on a '70 2800 CS and a '89 535. Great results both times with the pencil from nicks...
Rob

stargazer_61
07-06-2007, 09:16 AM
How many did you purchase?

Sounds like I'll be painting the same piece as yourself.

I purchased one can. 12 oz. I think is what's in it. Somewhere on their web site they give you the approximate sq. ft. coverage. I don't remember what it is, but I know that I put down at least three coats on each piece. On my rear bumper, I didn't do the entire bumper, just the sun faded top, above the trim.

John

Ross
07-06-2007, 09:27 AM
I've had good luck purchasing from the local body shop supply that will custom blend and put it in a quality aerosol. ~$20 last time

Tiger
07-06-2007, 09:29 AM
Guns are cheap nowdays... not a pro grade but close enough for you... like a cheap $100 HVLP sprayer is all you need for bumper job.

Russell
07-06-2007, 04:56 PM
did you use any sort of flex additive before you sprayed?
Also, did you sand/buff and polish the clear coat? I am considering the same tech on the top of my rear bumper.
Did you remove the bumper/trim first?

Macv
07-06-2007, 05:34 PM

I would hope so.

Ordered a can today, so I'll let you know how it turns out!

Russell
07-06-2007, 08:01 PM
I agree. However, not all people remove parts-including so called quality body shops. I am still not convienced a clear lacquer topcoat is durable enough to hold up to chip impacts or gasoline.

stargazer_61
07-07-2007, 05:48 AM
did you use any sort of flex additive before you sprayed?
Also, did you sand/buff and polish the clear coat? I am considering the same tech on the top of my rear bumper.

I removed the trim & pulled off the bumper. Masked off the lower part to protect it from overspray. I did not use any flex additive. Paintscratch sells a bumper repair kit, but I think it's for the rubber bumpers, not the hard plastic.

I did not sand the clear, but did the first two base coats. It does need a good dose of polishing to bring out the shine. The Wurth clear needs several days to cure properly. I had started to polish my grill after a couple of days and it was still soft so had to redo it.