PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Sydney

Cephas
07-04-2007, 07:25 PM
Hi,

Just a quick post to introduce myself.

I've recently acquired a 1992 520i auto and this forum looks like the place to for discussing this model of 5 series.

This is the 1st BMW I've owned so I'm definitely in the discovery phase.

The car looks great and has only got 150,000Km on it, so for its age its pretty solid.

I have a few questions about wheels and suspension I'll add later, but for now here's some pics of the new car.

http://lh4.google.com/peter.thebates/Row6q634_KI/AAAAAAAAAAw/DmlwTLXRD4c/s400/Image019.jpg
http://lh4.google.com/peter.thebates/Row6_634_LI/AAAAAAAAAA4/Q9PCVsBJjXA/s400/Image020.jpg
http://lh6.google.com/peter.thebates/Row7Oa34_MI/AAAAAAAAABA/o8OvIW37GHo/s400/Image021.jpg

GJPinAU
07-04-2007, 07:30 PM
welcome,
good to see another NSWelshman joining us.

there are a few of us here and take a look at the sticky/thread regarding our annual get-together.

cheers,
Greg

BigKriss
07-04-2007, 07:56 PM
welcome! your car looks like it's already on lowered springs

Cephas
07-04-2007, 08:05 PM
It does look lowered. I can't imagine the standard 5 has that hunkered down look.

Thanks for the welcome.

kev535i
07-04-2007, 08:29 PM
welcome fellow aussie - remember- search before you ask- look at this site http://www.bmwe34.net/ for lots of info and you should get along just fine :)

Zeuk in Oz
07-04-2007, 10:50 PM
Greetings & salutations.

Welcome to the club and enjoy driving a nice car.

You will find that using this and Bruno's site ( www.bmwe34.net ) allows you to do much of the maintenance on your car yourself, depending on inclination, tools and expertise. Many of us have tackled much bigger jpobs than we would ever have thought possible and succeeded.

Do a search, but most of us buy parts direct from the US which makes them much cheaper - www.bmaparts.com is a good place to start.

Also, a Bentley manual is worth having - I bought mine direct from www.amazon.com but I think BMA sells them.

Bo

Cephas
07-04-2007, 11:09 PM
I'm weighing up how much I want to do myself on it.
I've not done much mechanical stuff before, but I'm not too bad at most DIY stuff.

I guess it comes down to tools and time for me. In that I don't have any proper mechanics tools / equipment and my time is limited. Anyone have an opinion of those cheap tool sets from places like SuperCheap auto? I know they will be pretty poor quality, but are they good enough for small jobs?

That said the prices from the US sites do seem a bit cheaper than what I've been quoted for stuff here. Not staggeringly cheaper, but enough that I'll probably be ordering some of the more cosmetic things from overseas.

mattyb
07-04-2007, 11:29 PM
welcome to you. even the mechanical things from O/S are way cheaper but you wont see this until you need them. Theres always room for cheap tools as you'll find here and there one might need to customise them in someway for a specific job. wheels look like 96/97 maybe.

Best of luck

bayviewsbb
07-05-2007, 05:31 AM
G'day,
Welcome to the club..,
bayviewsbb

BigKriss
07-05-2007, 05:45 AM
Cephas, you wheels look big, are they 18"s?

Cephas
07-05-2007, 06:59 AM
Cephas, you wheels look big, are they 18"s?

yeah, 225/40/r18

I'm looking to get rid of them for some 17" or 16" rims. the ride is too harsh, and good 18" tires are too expensive :)

M20Turbo
07-05-2007, 08:49 AM
Welcome Cephas......
Your car will be your friend for ever provided you do not neglect it. You are in the right place for all the help you could ever want. Do use the search, most all of the questions you might have, I'm sure they have been answered numerous times. Have fun and good luck.........

Zeuk in Oz
07-05-2007, 06:03 PM
I'm weighing up how much I want to do myself on it.
I've not done much mechanical stuff before, but I'm not too bad at most DIY stuff.

I guess it comes down to tools and time for me. In that I don't have any proper mechanics tools / equipment and my time is limited. Anyone have an opinion of those cheap tool sets from places like SuperCheap auto? I know they will be pretty poor quality, but are they good enough for small jobs?

That said the prices from the US sites do seem a bit cheaper than what I've been quoted for stuff here. Not staggeringly cheaper, but enough that I'll probably be ordering some of the more cosmetic things from overseas.
I think you will find even simple stuff like bonnet & boot struts, brake discs, pads and sensors etc are much cheaper bought from the US.

I recently had to purchase a front brake pad sensor from the dealer as it was not available from the States for my 525ix. It cost me AUD $ 39.25. The longer rear sensor I purchased from BMA for AUD $ 6.50.

This sort of saving is typical.

Thrust arms (upper control arms) cost approx $500 from the dealer and arrive here from the States for less than $200 including freight.

Go to www.realoem.com , enter your Vin number's last 7 digits, and you can then look up any part numbers to assist when you order.

Just make sure you keep any order to below AUD $1,000 to avoid duty and GST. ;)

Bo

mamilapon
07-06-2007, 01:08 AM
Yeah mate do a search first before asking or youll get your head bitten off!!! lol!! And Welcome!!

Paul in NZ
07-06-2007, 03:53 AM
I like the colour of the car and it looks in good condition too.Not all of us bite so ask away!

Cephas
07-06-2007, 04:00 AM
Not worried about the bite. BMW newbie I may be, internet newbie I'm not :) Goes with the territory.

It is a nice colour, one look and I was hooked. Trying to explain to the wife why I'd spent more money then planned, and then explain why it needed a few trips to the mechanic wasn't fun, but every time I get in it to drive to work it seems worth the hassel.

Zeuk in Oz
07-06-2007, 07:09 PM
but every time I get in it to drive to work it seems worth the hassel.
That's the BMW bug, alright. First time I drove a BMW, its rear suspension sold me.

Some of us have the bug even worse than you do. :D