PDA

View Full Version : OT Mercedes Self Leveling Suspension

infinity5
07-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Hey guys.

I'm looking at an early 80's mercedes station wagon, a 300TD to be exact. They all seem to have come with self leveling rear suspension, and, if the seller is telling the truth, have little nitrogen bombs just like the BMW. I'm going to guess their system is pretty similar, at least mechanically, so that's what i'm asking you all a question about it.

If the rear end is sagging when the car is OFF, but lifts to normal position when the car is ON, am i looking at a simple problem with fluids and sensors, or are the shocks/nitrogen ballasts shot?

Obviously It might be a totally different setup, but i'm putting my money on them being similar enough that i can't use a diagnosis from either and apply it to the other :)

shogun- i went to your website but sadly i don't speak german, so the .pdf on the self leveling system was not much help :(

markus
07-04-2007, 05:14 PM
im glad i dont have to worrry about that ****.

Tiger
07-04-2007, 05:23 PM
First, you want to change the spring.... weak spring is increased wear on the airbag. Then you are looking at the airbags... which are pretty cheap on ebay.

The fact the car does go up tells me everything else is working fine. I would change out the fluid yearly with Dextron ATF rather than MB fluids... There are people do done this for years with no problem.

mbz.org has alot of info along with dieselgiant.com

The setup is the same with BMW and the airbag is super easy to change out.