PDA

View Full Version : Random slow to start

nixter
07-04-2007, 10:59 AM
Owned my car for well over a year now and the engine has been flawless except for 2 startups. the most recent was last night. Started the car after being off for 2 or 3 days. Drove less than 5 min up the street and shut off. Did some shopping and returned to the car about 30 min later. The car turned over fine but I had to keep the key turned for 5 or 6 seconds as the engine slowly sputtered to life. Once it has started everything was fine. I decided not to drive to my friend's house and returned home, (again less than 5 min). I shut off the car and waited about 30 seconds and started it up again without issue. I then shut it off and went inside.

As I said, this is the second time this has happened. The previous time was just like the first, a very isolated incident. I do not remember the driving times when it first happened.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

nix

BIGRED
07-04-2007, 11:49 AM
Just went through this over the past few days.

Most likely a fuel related issue that you need to narrow down. If it is intermittent it will be a lot harder to solve the problem without just replacing all the potential suspect parts (although the list of issues that can occur intermittent is smaller IMHO). One thing to consider; is it related to the level of the fuel tank?

You need a fuel pressure tester. I picked one up at Harbor Freight for $14.00.
Best to follow Bentley's... but if you don't have one.

You need to test the fuel pressure on the supply side ahead of the fuel rail as well as the return side. Your trying to find out if the following are working as they should.

1.The fuel pump assembly
2. The fuel check valve
3. The fuel pressure regulator
or

If there is a fuel leak in a line or an injector.

Depending on where you place the gauge and the result of pressurizing the system, it points to the problem area. Example : if the pressure falls off with it installed at the fuel pump, its the check valve. If the pressure is fine there and drops off under the hood, there is a leak between the pump and the line under the hood.

No shortcut to diagnosis the issue.

Good luck
Don

nixter
07-04-2007, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the info. I probably won't be able to do this myself but if it happens again in the near future I will take it in to my mechanic armed with this info. Working 12-18 hr days leaves little time for dinking around under my hood. :)