PDA

View Full Version : Your experience from 15" to 17-18" wheels

BMWDriver
07-04-2007, 10:07 AM
Dear Fellow E34 Enthusiasts,

I'm considering going from 15" to 16" or 17" wheels, not more. I'm worried about the effects of the road conditions here in Montreal - y' almost need a 4x4, the roads are so frikkin' ugly... It's a bumpy ride every goddamn time I go anywhere ! But I'm used to it now anyway.

Also, perhaps comfort too. And my mechanic suggests the suspension pays the price.

I read the e34 info site regarding sizes and everything (speedometer effect & mileage ratio...), so I think I'm good with that.

So, what did you notice when you upgraded?

repenttokyo
07-04-2007, 10:38 AM
with our roads in montreal, you will have to pay attention or you will indeed bend 18 inch rims.

Macv
07-04-2007, 11:18 AM
Upgrading to 17" I definitely felt more attached to the road. If the ride is suffering, I don't notice it. It's still a great drive.

Just get a good set of wheels and watch the holes. Don't go with cheap "bend easy" wheels.

markus
07-04-2007, 12:38 PM
ill have an update for you in about 2 days. Im getting style 19s on with some general exclaim UHP rubber. I think good tires play a crucial role also. No cheap ass linglong or nankang tires.

BMWDriver
07-04-2007, 12:44 PM
ill have an update for you in about 2 days. Im getting style 19s on with some general exclaim UHP rubber. I think good tires play a crucial role also. No cheap ass linglong or nankang tires.

Give us a pic to make us drool !

I'll post back with a couple of brands I might consider. Keep it comin' guys ! This is good stuff !

kick7ca
07-04-2007, 03:15 PM
From Total BMW magazine, March issue:

“the classic mistake with the E34 is to fit big aftermarket wheels. The E34 doesn’t like anything bigger than 16 inch with 225 or 235 tyres and too many cheap wheels aren’t particularly well balanced. This is why E34s with cheap big wheels drive like a double bed and wander all over the road.”

...and I couldn't agree more. The ride/handling compromise with stock wheels is unbeatable. Lighter steering, sharper steering response and better acceleration. With bigger wheels it feels more like a truck. You'll be giving up some "BMWness" if you fit big wheels on the car. - and I expect you'll go through suspension compontents faster like your mechanic said.

BMWDriver
07-04-2007, 06:47 PM

“the classic mistake with the E34 is to fit big aftermarket wheels. The E34 doesn’t like anything bigger than 16 inch with 225 or 235 tyres and too many cheap wheels aren’t particularly well balanced. This is why E34s with cheap big wheels drive like a double bed and wander all over the road.”

...and I couldn't agree more. The ride/handling compromise with stock wheels is unbeatable. Lighter steering, sharper steering response and better acceleration. With bigger wheels it feels more like a truck. You'll be giving up some "BMWness" if you fit big wheels on the car. - and I expect you'll go through suspension compontents faster like your mechanic said.

Yes, I'm seriously considering that too. However, wheels are difficult to find in a 16 inch size for our beloved E34. I'm not keen on anything outside of 20 offset. So far, I had found only one out of what is available North of USA, that appeals to my tastes in the 16 inch size.

RTX Wheels Roundel model in 16 inches:
http://www.rtxwheels.com/images/Roundel.jpg

However, since I don't drive every day, taking public transit to work, 17 inch is possibly a good fit.

TSW Sakata 5 in 17 inches:
http://www.tsw.com/img/sakata_silver_reg_normal_white.jpg

BBS also has a style I really like.
BBS RX203 15 (only chrome) or 17 inches (silver/chrome):
http://bbs-usa-appguide.com/wheel_images/wheelPic_10-13-2004_451.jpghttp://bbs-usa-appguide.com/wheel_images/wheelPic_11-11-2005_840.jpg

Not sure I like the chrome.

I'm not done shopping.

Tiger
07-04-2007, 07:15 PM
If you like the first style... you might as well get them off the current BMW 5 series... People sells them cheap too.

I have experience in all sizes... 15, 16 and 17". 15 is definitely soft because I use it for snow tires... 16 and 17" depends on what brand of tires you buy. Every manufacturer is different. Michelin is rock hard rides... Bridgestone is medium stiffness... Nitto NT555 is rock hard also but way cheaper than Michelin.

The latest one I like is General Exclaim UHP (no other General tires are recommended)... very nice ride... soft ride... and outstanding sport performance.

To make the ride comfortable, you have to make sure everything on your suspension is good... especially the sway bar links... shocks and springs (stock will give you comfortable rides). Everything is subjective.

repenttokyo
07-04-2007, 07:46 PM
i really don't think there will be noticeable ride harshness below 18 inches.

Robert K
07-04-2007, 09:22 PM
I have 17" style 5 wheels with Bridgestone Turanza LSZ's on my 1991 535i. I also have the M-Technik springs with Boge gas struts and Racing Dynamics sway bars. My ride is firm, but not terrible. The ride is probably the worst in town on uneven pavement and potholes. Luckily, my car still has a very solid chassis and most of the suspension parts are in great shape. But if I could find a set of 16" Mille Miglia MM11 wheels, I'd think hard about swapping them for the 17" style 5's just to soften the ride up a bit.

If you're running the stock springs/struts, 17" wheels/tires probably won't be too bad for you. But I tend to agree that they're probably rougher on your suspension. And the brand/model of tire you choose will also greatly impact the ride. Lots of variables to play with.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i

BigKriss
07-05-2007, 05:48 AM
surely this doesn't apply to throwing stars?

leicesterboy15
07-05-2007, 06:28 AM
Or the M Parallel 18s?

bsell
07-05-2007, 11:59 AM
Dear Fellow E34 Enthusiasts,

snip

So, what did you notice when you upgraded?

I have a 95 525 that I bought already lowered and don't know the setup other than with the 18" 235/45's mounted, it corners like a madman. I get the joy of feeling the current road condition every inch of the way also. There is nothing like fighting the car over truck ruts and other straight lines going my way either.

When I put on my 'snow' setup, 15" stock M+S rated tires, the car drives like a luxury sedan. As in it eats up way more bumps and road imperfections than the thin 18" setup. This is not to say the car gets 'boaty' but it is a much more relaxing ride due to the isolation from the road. And of course any hint of tramlining is gone. The car feels 'refined.'

That said, the lowered car with side skirts and front and rear spoilers looks pretty pathetic on the stock wheels/rubber. With the knock-off 18" AC Schnitzer type III's (multi-piece) and rubber in place, the car really looks sinister. I wish I had pictures to post but I don't so trust an old man why don't you?

My suggestion to you is a question...Which do you value more, ride comfort or all out curvey road fun? Answer that and you will know which rims/tires to run with.;)

Brian

repenttokyo
07-05-2007, 12:12 PM
montreal is like the surface of the moon, don't forget, nothing like your luxurious american highways ;)

rnrn
07-05-2007, 12:45 PM
it also depends on what suspension you're running. I have a Sachs kit and it is definitely firm but not overbearing. Bad bumps will hurt a bit; really bad are downright harsh. But here in Chitown we have, for the most part, decent roads so no complaints. It certainly helped wake the ride up and I WOULD NOT change anything as of now. Here's what they look like too...

Derek A.
07-05-2007, 06:33 PM
17" style 5, stock suspension. Car rider great - our roads suck and I make a point to avoid the potholes.

http://www.opus45.com/pics/e34_802b.jpg

Incantation
07-05-2007, 11:14 PM
i noticed that you could do a search and find the answer you are looking for. this thread has been done 100 times

montreal roads are garbage. while i keep my e34 at my folk's place, i told my dad to only ride on stock basketweaves as my 18s + sachs suspension = majorly sketchy

Paul in NZ
07-06-2007, 03:30 AM
i truly beleive 18s are too big on these cars,or at least on the limit 16 or 17 is practical....with mtech suspension my car is firm on uneven surfaces,i wouldnt want it any stiffer,but this is from the veiw point that at times it is our main family car and whist its a dream when the roads are smooth when the road is uneven or bumpy it definetly is on the harsh side.235 45 17 tyres bridgestone and now toyos...it tramlines too

repenttokyo
07-06-2007, 07:50 AM
the other thing to remember about 18's: weight. Our cars are on the whole not very powerful, (referring to the 6 cyls) and that unsprung weight makes a big difference in performance. 18 inch wheels are significantly heavier than 15's and 16's, and even some 17's.

filip00
07-06-2007, 10:54 AM
if i were to buy new wheels, i'd get the 17" again, but i'd go for BBS RC model.

on a 15" wheel, the car is a bit faster, and a bit more comfortable...but when it comes to curves and harder driving, 17" are the best.

94_e34_525i
07-06-2007, 06:06 PM
Get the e38 Basketweaves there 16 inch 23 mm offset (pretty damn close to strut but clear it fine) make sure you put on 215 55 16's on or they wont fit, some put 225's but thats stupid, that would be wayyyy to close to the strut then. On top of it they are cheap and easy to find. Im originally from Montreal so i know the roads, actually im here right now on vacation, damn weather keeps raining. Im used to the cali sun.

BigKriss
07-07-2007, 01:10 AM
15"s are still okay though right? I can still run 15"s on the front wheels and clear the e32 brakes.