PDA

View Full Version : Reading Engine Codes?

///Sniper535
07-03-2007, 10:06 PM
Is that what the stomp test is? Depressing the accelerator 5 times in 5 seconds?

I followed the directions found here:
http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/engine_codes.htm

I couldn't get anything to happen.

I have a 02/89 535i, and i always had a check engine light. Contradicting what is said on that page about '88 and '89 E34s. Anywho, is there better directions how to do that test?

I was able to do the car code display test, that was interesting.

zhandax
07-03-2007, 10:39 PM
Not depressing. Stomp test means just that. Hard and fast like a teenager. And similarly, you need to be finished in 5 seconds. Re-read the 'Older E34 bulb wiring' paragraph at the bottom. It sounds like you do not have a check engine bulb installed. The cutout on the panel will be there but has it ever lit? You may need to do a little more wiring to get results.

///Sniper535
07-03-2007, 10:54 PM
I do have a bulb in that slot. My check engine light comes on when the key is in position 2, then goes away when engine is turned on.

markus
07-03-2007, 11:53 PM
i never got this thing to work. im thinking about buying a peake tool for $150.

///Sniper535
07-04-2007, 08:59 PM
Ok, so i got the stomp sequence down and got the light to do it's flashy thing, but i get no codes on the display? wtf

bmwrp8
07-04-2007, 09:56 PM
Ok, so i got the stomp sequence down and got the light to do it's flashy thing, but i get no codes on the display? wtf

no, you get no codes from the display..that flashy thing IS the code...you count how many flash then pause and that is the code...ex.flash pause flash,flash,pause flash ,flash pause flash,flash. thats code 1222

zhandax
07-04-2007, 09:59 PM
You count the flashes. Those are the codes. You want a display, get a Peake or CarSoft. I am not sure it would be worth the expense on an 89; I think there were fewer than 20 codes total on the early models. BMW added more over the years.

bmwrp8
07-04-2007, 10:02 PM
You count the flashes. Those are the codes. You want a display, get a Peake or CarSoft. I am not sure it would be worth the expense on an 89; I think there were fewer than 20 codes total on the early models. BMW added more over the years.

I have carsoft and mine's an 89..its well worth the expense especially if somebody comes to you and ask you to read their bimmer hehehe with charge of course:D ;) not to mention the guys in the club hehehe WELL WORTH IT;)

zhandax
07-04-2007, 10:20 PM
Good point. My manager has a 740, and it couldn't hurt to help out the guy who writes the reviews. I have been lowballing auctions by tachopartner on ebay.de but keep missing. Maybe I will just suck it up and hit the buy-it-now. There is a new model that just came out from another seller but I think I will get the one from tachopartner. The new model features "SMD design" and I have enough broken crap with that technology already.

632 Regal
07-04-2007, 11:05 PM
boys, you really need to read up on what tool works and what dont then make a purchase.

bmwrp8
07-04-2007, 11:48 PM
boys, you really need to read up on what tool works and what dont then make a purchase.

yep:D

zhandax
07-04-2007, 11:54 PM
Jeff, I'm kinda missing your point here. The reason I am trying to buy an interface from Germany is all the posts I have read here about what crap the Chinese interfaces are.