PDA

View Full Version : phillips car stereo

adashio
07-02-2007, 12:37 AM
im looking to buy this

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Philips-car-audio-system-Radio-cassette-6-stack-cd_W0QQitemZ150137915619QQihZ005QQcategoryZ67772QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

my car doesnt have a stacker fitted at the moment. how do i get power to the trunk or....where is this thing normally located. are all wires needed already there?

its a 1995 520i executive

its just this would look the neatest as it was a factory installed one from a bmw. im not that fussed about sound quality so this would do me fine. thanks

BigKriss
07-02-2007, 02:01 AM
The cable that goes from the headdeck to the staker will normally power up the stacker.

Ferret
07-02-2007, 02:02 AM
im looking to buy this

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Philips-car-audio-system-Radio-cassette-6-stack-cd_W0QQitemZ150137915619QQihZ005QQcategoryZ67772QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

my car doesnt have a stacker fitted at the moment. how do i get power to the trunk or....where is this thing normally located. are all wires needed already there?

its a 1995 520i executive

its just this would look the neatest as it was a factory installed one from a bmw. im not that fussed about sound quality so this would do me fine. thanks

*Shudders*

Those phillips head units are usually shocking, I had one fitted as standard to my Rover 214i... the amps in them are terrible.

adashio
07-02-2007, 02:10 AM
*Shudders*

Those phillips head units are usually shocking, I had one fitted as standard to my Rover 214i... the amps in them are terrible.

terrible as in AM quality terrible...ill never play music at ear hurting levels so FM quality or above would be fine.....

so NO other cables are needed except that one thats included in the auction??

Ferret
07-02-2007, 02:32 AM
terrible as in AM quality terrible...ill never play music at ear hurting levels so FM quality or above would be fine.....

so NO other cables are needed except that one thats included in the auction??

So long as you dont play it at loud volumes, the quality will be fine, you'll need a bmw-->Iso adaptor I should imagine.

And yeah, usually the bus connector to the stacker transmits power and control, though sometimes they need a separate RCA lead back to the headunit. These are only cheap and easy to come by though.

adashio
07-02-2007, 02:44 AM
ok so my wiring has been hacked by the previous owners to wire an aftermarket cd player in. could i use that? i also have an adapter which looks like i have to insert pins into....

Ferret
07-02-2007, 04:28 AM
ok so my wiring has been hacked by the previous owners to wire an aftermarket cd player in. could i use that? i also have an adapter which looks like i have to insert pins into....

If I was you, I'd buy an adaptor and tape off all the hackings... will make life much easier for you.

BigKriss
07-02-2007, 07:45 PM
you can use the existing wires, you use a multimeter to determine what wires will goto the cd-player.