PDA

View Full Version : New car in the stable... Huge THX to Martin & Jeff N.

Robin-535im
05-10-2004, 11:33 AM
The search is over - I drove home my '90 535im this weekend. Seattle to Albuquerque, 1500 miles in about 24 hours. No Tickets (thanks Passport 8500)

I had the pleasure of meeting two esteemed members of the board, Jeff and Martin of Bellevue, WA. I'll post a pic after I pull it off the camera. I didn't get to see Martin's car unfortunately, but I hear it's up and running now. Sound's like it's quite a car. Jeff's car is just about perfect too - although I do remember that one tiny speck of dust in the engine compartment... Jeff probably put that there on purpose so the rest of us wouldn't feel bad.

Two great guys, I recommend buying them a beer if you're ever in Seattle.

Oh - in case you're interested about the car, here're the specs. And please excuse my boastful attitude - I'm still pretty fired up about the new (to me) auto. :)

So, "what about the car?" you might ask. The service manager of the local BMW garage Strictly BMW bought a '90 535ia a few years ago and has been fixing it up ever since: Bav Engine Exchange engine (bored out a tad, coated cylinder and pistons, hotter cam, polished intake, 19# injectors), converted to a 5-speed with 50k miles on it, ///M illuminated shifter - shortened I think, Koni adjustables, Bav Auto springs, Dinan adjustable sways, M-parallel imitation 17" w/ new Kumho's, 3.91 LSD, HID low beams, euro bumper trim, gauges for oil temp - oil press - water temp, 850 brakes, Dinan cat-back stainless exhaust, ... tons of stuff.

The paint, body and interior are super-clean for a car of that age too. FWIW: I highly recommend that area of the US for buying e34's. No sun damage, no salt damage, and tons of "richer than me" people who can afford to garage their new 5-er and treat it right until the time comes to swap it for an even newer one.

- Robin
'90 535im (schweeeeet)
'91 535im (still my first love, bless her heart)

JoeS
05-10-2004, 12:07 PM
What did he replace it with?

Robin-535im
05-10-2004, 12:43 PM
Something better for putting on highway miles. He didn't have one picked out yet but he knew exactly what he wanted.

Do you know Derek? I met him just last week. He's a great guy - and in a good position to find sweet deals. I took a look at all the receipts for the parts - talk about great job to have for fixing up a BMW! Cheap parts, expert labor, access to all the tools... Derek was easy to talk to and very helpful throughout the process.

- Robin

AllanS
05-10-2004, 01:22 PM
Damn, that's awesome! Any hp/tq figures on that? That's gotta be a monster with the 3.91 rear and that engine.

Jeff N.
05-10-2004, 04:17 PM
You and Kent have a nice drive? When did you make it back? How far did you guys make it that first night?

Jeff

SamB
05-10-2004, 05:15 PM
Sounds nice :D If you post pics an you please please include one of the illuminated shift knob illuminating??

Sam

Robin-535im
05-11-2004, 09:01 AM
And you were right about the bugs. I'll post a pic of that too once I get it. It's actually like a wind-tunnel test, wherever the bugs are is a surface air hits: front grill area, upper hood rim, fender front lower fender skirts, and all across the windshield of course. I think there were 2-3 lbs of bug guts alone!

We stopped in Richland (IIRC), about 200 miles from Seattle, the first night. The next day took us all the way through Boise, Twin Falls, down through Salt Lake City, and out to Moab. SLC to Moab was a great drive, no traffic, curvy roads and late afternoon lighting.

We got back on Mother's Day (Happy Mother's Day honey - I got myself a car in your honor! And for your next present, I'll give it a good wash!)

Needless to say, there was a bit of well-deserved stern looks from my wife about my priorities, but she knows she comes first. Well, except when there's this really cool car thing I have to go do. Or when I really need new tires. Or...

- Robin

You and Kent have a nice drive? When did you make it back? How far did you guys make it that first night?

Jeff

Jeff N.
05-11-2004, 10:00 AM
Sounds like a cool drive. Moab's on my list to make one of these days...

Richland would have been a logical first stop...site of the Hanford Nuclear Reservation.

Robin-535im
05-11-2004, 11:20 AM
Damn, that's awesome! Any hp/tq figures on that? That's gotta be a monster with the 3.91 rear and that engine.

I don't know if our BMW chapter has a Dyno Day but it would be fun to see.

I can tell you that compared to my 91 535im w/EAT chip, this thing has noticeably more torque in the 2000 - 3500 range. The pull ebbs a bit after 4k but is still higher than the 91 I had before.

I think I will put in the EAT chip to the new beast and sell the Bav Auto chip that's in there now. If I ever get dyno numbers, I'll be sure to post.

AllanS
05-11-2004, 03:06 PM
With a different cam, bigger injectors, and more displacement, Mark may be able to write you something to take advantage of that, software-wise... I know that certain retailers of BMW cams package customized chips with them to fully take advantage of them. I would ask Mark if he could do something like that.

Also, I know that BavAuto used to advertise that their more expensive chips are customizable up to a point... I'm not sure what that point may be though, or whether or not they still offer this. It was around 500$ i think.