PDA

View Full Version : Air Filters

///Sniper535
07-01-2007, 04:11 PM
How many do you guys use after market filters? Is it worth switching to them or stick with stock?

Tiger
07-01-2007, 04:24 PM
I use Hengst, Mann and now Meyle for engine air filter. Cabin filter, I am using my last one that I had but will be using whatever is available... no need for factory filter. You just have to change them yearly or every other year if you want to see the black stuff.

ThoreauHD
07-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Best bang and longer lasting option are the Mann/Meyle OE filters. Unless you are drag racing with a supercharger, you aren't gonna see more HP unless you do a MAF conversion or the like. Although alot of folks do use those oil and clean air filters, it's not worth it overall. That's my opinion. And I'm not a mechanic, so take it with a grain of salt. But from what I've read, it don't do **** with a standard setup besides waste your time.

Barney Paull-Edwards
07-01-2007, 04:36 PM
K & N was the only filter that I tested which ,while not decreasing power like a lot of others,flowed as well as new when partially clogged.Some green fancy looking thing actually lost me 8hp, and all the rest tested gained no power and clogged with ease.Standard Mann filter did well but the intake tube proved very restrictive. The best result was an oven moulded tube from above intercooler to standard box with K & N panel in it,nominal power gain untill big cooling fan turned on, then 14hp.Forget flash, go simple.

pingu
07-01-2007, 04:43 PM
I use OEM - I tried an air filter from Halfords (a British car parts supplier - but they mainly supply own brand rather than OEM) and the Halfords air filter had fewer pleats, and hence less surface area, compared to the OEM filter.

The extra money on OEM seems well worth it to me.

Ferret
07-01-2007, 04:51 PM
I use OEM - I tried an air filter from Halfords (a British car parts supplier - but they mainly supply own brand rather than OEM) and the Halfords air filter had fewer pleats, and hence less surface area, compared to the OEM filter.

The extra money on OEM seems well worth it to me.

I've put a Halfrauds filter in my flatmates Mazda 323F and it's totally choked the engine. Refused to pick up at all and drank fuel...

markus
07-01-2007, 05:05 PM
hengst.

krzysiom5
07-01-2007, 06:46 PM
I heard, BMC filters are the best! They supply the airfilters to almost all Formula 1 teams, so I guess that speaks volumes for their products.
(Expensive tho);)

http://www.bmcairfilter.com/infoACC.asp

Dr. evil
07-01-2007, 06:50 PM
K&n for me. if it's approved for aircarft it should be fine for my bimmer.

attack eagle
07-01-2007, 08:29 PM
never again willI use a K&N... the only reason I ever had one was becasue you hav e ot run an open filter on a DSM to upgrade the Piping, and the K&N was the biggest , longest, largest surface area of all the filters. what a freaking pita, cleaning and reoiling that thing every couple of weeks.

Boone.Msi
07-02-2007, 12:33 AM
I have a K&N cone filter that fits in my modded stock airbox. The airbox now has a larger non ristrictive intake horn, the top of the airbox has been replaced with abs plastic side walls to box in the filter, with black weatherstriping around the top of the box that touches the hood when closed.

With all the negative feedback of the K&N i took my chances and modded it to overcome every one elses problems. I have never been happier, throttle response has improved and it dosent run out of pep in higher rpm's, it keeps pulling rather than acting like it hit a wall(like previously) That and it sounds mean as ****, completely changed the exhaust tone from high and raspy to low and growling. Next step is to move up to 4.0 bored TB and 3.5" intake tubing...

leicesterboy15
07-02-2007, 09:50 AM
I've got a K & N panel filter installed, wasn't expecting any power increase but wanted a better sound. I can't tell either way if its made any difference or not. My stainless exhaust seems to deliver the goods but not sure how much difference the filter is making to the noise. As for performance, I can't see any difference, maybe I've just forgotten what it was like without.