PDA

View Full Version : correct valve cover parts

Russell
07-01-2007, 03:06 PM
I just replaced my valve cover gasket, spark plug tube seals and rubber rings around the 15 bolts that hold the valve cover on. Valve cover gaskets were made by Goetze and rubber rings were made by Gloeckler/VictorReinz (http://www.autohausaz.com/html/auto_parts_shopping.html) purchased from Autohaus AZ. Part number 11 12 1 437 395. Part Checks ok with RealOem.

The rubber rings are slighter different than the Bruss brand rings I removed. The new rings are softer, slightly thinner and the inner ring was not as deep. Perhaps the rings take this shape after being compressed?

I torqued to 10 lbs and the bolts actually felt they bottomed out at that torque value. Makes me think the new seals are not thick enough and will cause the valve cover to leak, especially around the spark plug tubes.

Am I being paranoid? I have not driven it yet. BTW, started first turn. I also replaced the plugs and plug to coils connectors with Bosch and Bremi parts.

whiskychaser
07-01-2007, 03:30 PM
The caps will only go on so far. If they havent compressed the gasket and rubber washers by then there isnt much you can do except maybe put another steel washer on? Not very elegant but practical.