PDA

View Full Version : E34: Installing a trunk release INSIDE the trunk

muttley
06-29-2007, 10:26 PM
Been watching a few TV programs about motorists getting car-jacked and forced into the trunk of their cars. Turns out this has happened over 1600 times in the USA alone, and 400 of those victims suffocated to death because they could not get out of the trunk till they ran out of oxygen.

Apparently all cars produced for the US market since the year 2001 are by law equipped with trunk-opening handles inside the trunk, though it is evidently possible to retrofit some older models with such a mechanism.

So, my question is, how does one go about modifying the inside of our beloved E34 Bimmer's trunk so that one would have a fighting chance of escaping if the unthinkable happened and one was locked in that trunk at gunpoint ? Has anyone tried this mod ? Given the electronic actuated trunk lock in the E34, would it be concievable that a panic-button electrical means of opening the trunk from the inside could work as well or better than a mechanical handle ?

Sorry to be morbid here, folks, but I was really shocked at the sheer number of people that have suffered this horrible fate at the hands of criminals, and I sure would like the peace of mind of knowing there would be a way out if it happened to me. Any ideas ?

attack eagle
06-29-2007, 10:30 PM
you wont suffocate because there are huge vents inthe trunk?

muttley
06-29-2007, 10:42 PM
you wont suffocate because there are huge vents inthe trunk?

Thanks for the response Eagle. I wasn't aware of the vents in the trunk and that is good news, BUT, I'd still be very anxious to bail out of the trunk at the first stop the car makes, so that internal trunk latch could definitely spell the difference between survival and becoming a statistic.

Standing by for any more ideas from y'all out there.

winfred
06-29-2007, 10:57 PM
it wouldn't be too hard to get at the inside of the latch and open the trunk, a flashlight would be the most helpful thing, and you have the tool kit on the lid, tear away the carpet and work the latch, but if you do it too early waiting for a stop holding the trunk down the trunk open warning would come up on the cluster

personally id hit the gas and drive off, run them over, beat the **** outta them or shoot them depending on the situation, maybe all of the above if i am in a bad mood :D

muttley
06-29-2007, 11:33 PM
Wilfred are you saying the trunk release linkage can be found in the trunk lid, or in the trunk floor ?

Sure wish I had the balls to pack heat in my ride as that is for sure the best response to such threats, but with my luck I'd probably get the book thrown at me since I don't live in Texas or Florida where it is legal to carry a concealed piece in the car.

That flashlight idea is basic but brilliant. Gonna hide one in there right away.

Blitzkrieg Bob
06-29-2007, 11:56 PM
my dates can get away before the "honey moon"

just remember 3600 pounds of BMW beats any car jacker.....run the bastard over

Paul in NZ
06-30-2007, 12:35 AM
the trunk relese is mechanical,its only the locking thats electric.Take a look the latch is on the boot lid,i think there is a little tab to release it.

muttley
06-30-2007, 12:40 AM
the trunk relese is mechanical,its only the locking thats electric.Take a look the latch is on the boot lid,i think there is a little tab to release it.

Thanks Paul. I'll check that out and see how I can connect to it to make a DIY latch.

winfred
06-30-2007, 01:28 PM
here in loserana your car is a extension of you home and you can protect it as such, but i have a carry permit that rolls over to most states so i am covered, and most of the states that don't honor my ccw i don't really wanna go to anyway :D
you can get a permit in these states if you can legally own a gun http://www.packing.org/state/all_united_states/image.php?stateimage=117

I don't live in Texas or Florida where it is legal to carry a concealed piece in the car.

muttley
06-30-2007, 01:59 PM
That is a website worth learning more about, Winfred. Thanks for the link. There's a lot to be said for the old saying that God created men but Captain Colt made them all equal.

I certainly would feel safer being able to legally travel with the means to fend off bad guys, and thus never find myself in the position of needing to escape from a slammed trunk.

shogun
06-30-2007, 04:09 PM
http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_38.htm

stilljester
06-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Different approach: (Safe Room umm I mean Trunk)

Install a shut off switch for the fuel relay or ignition inside the trunk & a lock on the inside to ensure it can't be opened from the outside. Once thrown in the back secure trunk and hit the switch. Wait until the coast is clear.

Montreal525
06-30-2007, 04:25 PM

Install a shut off switch for the fuel relay or ignition inside the trunk & a lock on the inside to ensure it can't be opened from the outside. Once thrown in the back secure trunk and hit the switch. Wait until the coast is clear.

You know, bullets do go thru sheetmetal.... Fish in a barrel type of thing. If all else fails, I'd rather get out and let them keep the car... No car is worth getting shot for. Shooting for maybe but not being shot...

Jeff

muttley
07-01-2007, 06:55 AM
Shogun I have printed out that brilliant and self-explanatory picture from your link. Much obliged. That picture and the accompanying text make the task very straight forward for even a mechanically challenged guy like me.

Omega
07-04-2007, 05:24 AM

Or put a steering wheel in there, along with gas and brake pedals and a periscope and drive them to the local cop shop.....

Seriously, do criminals in the US car jack 16 year old BMW's? You can buy them in the UK for less than the fine you'd get from the courts if you were busted.

Ferret
07-04-2007, 05:34 AM
Buy a touring.

EDIT:

Or: knock out the ski-hatch and keep a gun in the jack pocket so that you can shoot the unsuspecting ****er in the back of the head... from the boot while he's driving/sat at lights. Breathing hole as well.

Then maybe you can shoot your way out of the trunk too.

Maybe the electical mechanism out of the tourer will retro-fit into the saloon boot...

While you're at it, buy a lottery ticket, you've better chances than being carjacked I should imagine.

winfred
07-04-2007, 08:09 AM
hey now your talking :D

Or: knock out the ski-hatch and keep a gun in the jack pocket so that you can shoot the unsuspecting ****er in the back of the head... from the boot while he's driving/sat at lights.

BMWDriver
07-04-2007, 12:19 PM
(...)
Then maybe you can shoot your way out of the trunk too.
(...)

Watch out for ricochet!

Keep a spare remote in the trunk, checking the battery occasionnaly ?

I'd remove the carpet on the trunk, check out the mechanism and invent a cable release system where you would just pull that cable to unlock the trunk. Then have a "help" flag handy, and barely lift the trunk so the driver does not notice, wave the flag and show a bit of my hand, close the trunk after a few seconds, leave the flag hanging out and hope the cops show up.

Pretty creative, eh ? ;)

winfred
07-04-2007, 01:50 PM
except that the check control will start flashing "trunk open" in the cluster as soon as it's unlatched much less open

and barely lift the trunk so the driver does not notice, wave the flag and show a bit of my hand, close the trunk after a few seconds, leave the flag hanging out and hope the cops show up.

Pretty creative, eh ? ;)

Ferret
07-05-2007, 03:45 AM
except that the check control will start flashing "trunk open" in the cluster as soon as it's unlatched much less open

"SGT. HICKS! RUN A BYPASS!"

EDIT: Or should that have been CPL?

Montreal525
07-06-2007, 08:27 AM
Or: knock out the ski-hatch and keep a gun in the jack pocket so that you can shoot the unsuspecting ****er in the back of the head... from the boot while he's driving/sat at lights.

Didn't thought of that... I like it... :D

Jeff