PDA

View Full Version : De-badge,sump pan, springs

Sidney Rough-Diamond
06-29-2007, 02:11 PM
1, I'd like to remove the badge of the boot. Whats the best way,or will it likely just damage the metalic paint ?

2, M60 lower sump pan. I'm thinking without having looked that this is an easy few bolts to remove and replace the damaged part with a 'new' pan and gasket. Oil pump bolts keeps being mentioned with these engines,so I guess this needs to be checked while I'm there ? Also, does the new gasket need a sealent applied ? It looks to have some kinda sealent alreay on there.

3, The stock M-tec suspension is old and a little soft on the track. Don't have the budget for a complete suspension package, but would buy a new set of springs while I need to change a top mount .Any advive on which I should get,or is this something that just not worth doing without the dampers too ?

Cheers

Macv
06-29-2007, 02:26 PM
1.) Hairdry the glue to soften it and use fishingline to "saw" it off.

2.) No input

3.) Eibach springs.

CharlesAFerg
06-29-2007, 03:26 PM
Fishing line would be great, I used floss - but it kept breaking.

Also, use 3m adhesive remover, it's safe for the clearcloat and helps a lot not only for cutting the adhesive, but removing the glue residue.

Afterwards, I would take the opportunity to use a medium/heavy cut compound with a random orbital (something medium on a cutting pad at about 5OPM setting on the Porter cable 7424) on any areas that need it, including the freshly debadged area (It will be stained and scratched from age, this cutting will remove the stains like I had on my 89, that's a lot of time for staining...) and then go over it with a swirl remover, then a really light cut polish then glaze - after that you can seal wax, whatever you want.

Ross
06-29-2007, 03:29 PM
I wouldn't bother changing to stiffer springs if the dampers are shot.

pingu
06-29-2007, 03:59 PM
Can you do a post if you drop the sump? - I'm toying with the idea of checking the oil pump bolts at the next oil service.

ringle
01-11-2008, 02:05 PM
There's a very good write-up about it here with pics....

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=674198&highlight=m60+oil+pan+bolts

Barney Paull-Edwards
01-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Be warned, the M-tec suspension is well different. The shock piston is a different diameter to standard so the top mounts are different as are the top nuts. I used Eibach and new inserts, they work a treat, a bit low but allow control in Karussel! Thought you had moved the 540 on, or have you a new one?

Tiger
01-11-2008, 04:28 PM
3. Change your shock insert to Bilstein Sport and that will do the trick for you.

pingu
01-11-2008, 09:02 PM
I had my Indy drop the M60 oil sump and to his surprise (but not so much mine), he said the oil pump bolts were loose (at 150,000 miles). I don't know if any had fallen out but I'm glad it's sorted out.

Sam-Son
01-12-2008, 03:03 AM
I just debadged mine. Guitar string and some gunk off

Ferret
01-12-2008, 05:04 AM
Thought you had moved the 540 on, or have you a new one?

Barney, yeah he moved the 540 on... :D

...been tearing around in it since. Well 540i's dont 'tear' they just destroy anything else on the road with a bit of quiet refinement. Note the original post date!

Barney Paull-Edwards
01-12-2008, 12:54 PM
Barney, yeah he moved the 540 on... :D

...been tearing around in it since. Well 540i's dont 'tear' they just destroy anything else on the road with a bit of quiet refinement. Note the original post date!
In that case I suggest you check the nut on the strut top in case it has the standard not M-tec struts.Time for a teutonic play??