PDA

View Full Version : Rear end rebuild???

Messerschmitt
05-10-2004, 08:15 AM
After doing the driveshaft, dogbones, and subframe bushings I still have an annoying vibration in the rear end of my 1994 530i. I plan to rebuild the rest of the components next weekend. I've ordered trailing arm bushings, Diff. mounts, and also new rotors. Is there anything else that I should replace while I'm in there???? I didn't get the axles, since I've heard they are pretty reliable and I don't seem to have any trouble with them. Any advice?

Messerschmitt

632 Regal
05-10-2004, 09:44 AM
uhh...maybe your mising something basic like tires or a bent wheel?? Take the rears and bolt them on the front and spin them and see if they are out of round or something.

Messerschmitt
05-10-2004, 08:04 PM
All of that was checked before. I have two sets of wheels/tires and both do the same thing. It really seems odd to have as much vibration as I do, with more under accelleration and braking. I know I seem like a perfectionist, but I know how this car should ride... And it doesn't....

1994 530ia
169770 miles on original Nikasil and tranny!

MicahO
05-11-2004, 07:37 AM
Vibration seems a bit different than mine, and frankly I have to say that if you are experiencing the vibration under acceleration, you SHOULD try replacing the halfshafts. That sort of vibration could be coming from a CV joint under stress, i.e. when accelerating. The braking vibration isn't as conclusive, but I'd definitely swap the halfshafts.

My vibration was more speed dependent, and multiple wrenches felt that it was the driveshaft. As the shaft was replaced multiple times, I was also replacing many other parts - trailing arms, halfshafts, brake rotors, mounts, bushings, etc. After the third mechanic in 1.5 years told me he thought it was the driveshaft, I sold him the car.