PDA

View Full Version : Spied a 540i on ebay, do I go for it?

Ferret
06-29-2007, 10:22 AM
Spied a 540i Auto Saloon well within my price bracket, looks clean enough and has lower mileage than my 525TDs. The guy's possibly interested in a swap, just sent him a PM to see what's what.

Here we go again! (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320132592874)

It'd mean having to walk 20 minutes to the train station 4 days a week to get to work, (which I've been meaning to do anyway for a while, good for me ya know) and only drive it on fridays and weekends. There's no way in hell I could commute through the traffic 5 days a week with how much fuel that would use in traffic.

Do I take a leap?

Evan
06-29-2007, 10:42 AM
give it a thorough going over... then jump on it if it checks out

Omega
06-29-2007, 10:58 AM
I love 540's but for some reason I dislike white e34's in England. I think it's because most white e34's were 518i made up to be 535 wannabe's. I do however like US spec e34's in white........ Ponder that one!

Hypothetically if I had the money to run the car daily I would buy it. I fail to see why you would buy a car like this for Friday and weekend use only and get the train for the rest of the time, especially as it's a 20 minute walk to the station and not putting too fine a point on it, it RAINS quite a bit in England, especially in Cheshire and Yorkshire.

I can not think of anything worse than walking to the train station on a grey December morning (or June morning at the moment), standing on the platform p*ss wet through and then getting onto a packed train to stand up for the journey into work and pay through the nose for the "privilege" of using public transport. Have you costed the price of a daily train ticket?

And I do all this because I want a big engined car that eats so much fuel I can only run it 3 days a week. Sorry mate, two words. F*** that. If I wanted a fun, weekend only car I wouldn't even look at an e34. That's my 2p worth.

Evan
06-29-2007, 11:30 AM
i like the idea of training it to work all week... coming home weekends to tweak your new toy.. then hopping over to the ring to test her out...

the exercise of trekking to work weekdays will do you much more good than harm... yet you can drive to work in a pinch... buy the 540.

now this MAY NOT be the 540 you want to buy... but keep looking for a good one.. you'll find it

Macv
06-29-2007, 12:44 PM
Yes yes... buy it.

Barney Paull-Edwards
06-29-2007, 01:03 PM
8 owners??? You`ve broken the back of what goes wrong with TDS and now you want to buy a 540, brave!Cannot call you mad as I would do it but at least get the AA to look at it.

Sidney Rough-Diamond
06-29-2007, 01:34 PM
I think that car has been on eBay a couple of times now - not a good sign. Also only buy if you have shares in BP.Other things I don't like about it are ... its in white,naff sunroof spoiler type thing, auto box, rubbish ICE, Nurburgring sticker on the boot, V8 badges on the wings. It all just sounds a little bit....chav, to be honest. Steer clear is my vote.

Sidney Rough-Diamond
06-29-2007, 02:00 PM
Forgot to add, I'd buy a Touring if I got another E34. A nice 540 wagon would be uber cool. http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/116442.htm Haggle hard.

pingu
06-29-2007, 03:57 PM
The 540 sure is fun. And I'd never go back to a manual gear box - gears, what are they?

The 540s have a reputation for needing new radiators and water pumps - both of mine went at about 130,000 miles. You might want to do them before you get stranded.

Given the 8 previous owners, has it been properly serviced?

Paul in NZ
06-29-2007, 07:30 PM
if thats the car you want,ie a e 34 weekend car then go for broke buy the absolute BEST 540/6 you can afford.The 540 would use very little extra fuel than a 535(if any) and prolly only a litle bit more than a 525,but its the stop and go that kills it.BMW dealer will give a better check than the AA.That touring looks cool and in good nick

ironie
06-30-2007, 02:58 AM
He has a 525 TDS (turbo diesel) As best I know none came to the states.
He will use apprecitively more fuel, at a higher price..But that would be all well and good to drive the car he wants. The seller seems more concerned about his "ICE" and probably has no clue what is on the underside of the vehicle.
£1200 quid is way to much for you to pay if it is streaching you to the limits as the car no doubt will need a few grand in suspension parts and installation. (DIY of course shaves lot off the price) Along with the no doubt needed suspension parts it will almost certainally need new fuel and brake lines/hoses in the near future as well as the dreaded leaking power steering hoses, and probably a water pump. All of these quite expensive to pay a decent garage to do. If £1200 is a strech for you, you can't afford this vehicle.
And all that doesn't even touch the autobox
My .002 approately discounted. Best a' luck Mate.

mamilapon
06-30-2007, 04:12 AM
if thats the car you want,ie a e 34 weekend car then go for broke buy the absolute BEST 540/6 you can afford.The 540 would use very little extra fuel than a 535(if any) and prolly only a litle bit more than a 525,but its the stop and go that kills it.BMW dealer will give a better check than the AA.That touring looks cool and in good nick
Im against. 8 owners! too much for me. All my cars have been one owner before me.Plus the price of petrol in London, plus have you got a garage for it?Plus insurance. nope, too much

Barney Paull-Edwards
07-01-2007, 04:37 AM
So, did you end up with two E34`s?? Did you do the buy it now??? Dont forget the location is Red- neck country, might be a Kia with new body!

Monastie
07-01-2007, 06:04 AM
Number of Previous Owners: 8
DAYUM...

mattyb
07-01-2007, 10:06 AM
cant go wrong for that price. just be ready to do the tranny if theres no evidence of regular fliud changes.

Ferret
07-01-2007, 01:59 PM
So, did you end up with two E34`s?? Did you do the buy it now??? Dont forget the location is Red- neck country, might be a Kia with new body!

Ha, I got told categorically by the other half that I'd lose parts of my anatomy if I replaced the tourer.

Someone wants a mutt!

Did get a reply from the guy who seems possibly interested in a swap though... *dilemma*

Also just noticed that the paint on the hood of mine's a poor respray job and has started to bubble. Have to look into a respray methinks.

ThoreauHD
07-01-2007, 04:35 PM
What does the carfax report or it's EU equivalent say on that car? I like getting my cars from old people. It may smell like sour milk and baby powder at first, but they usually don't play Ich Pimp Mein Auto with it and fuk it up. 8 owners and the guy wants to trade.. I would probably think 3 times about it, get that there carfax report, have a mechanic inspect it, then say no. I would be thinking engine and transmission issues.

Ferret
07-01-2007, 04:44 PM
What does the carfax report or it's EU equivalent say on that car? I like getting my cars from old people. It may smell like sour milk and baby powder at first, but they usually don't play Ich Pimp Mein Auto with it and fuk it up. 8 owners and the guy wants to trade.. I would probably think 3 times about it, get that there carfax report, have a mechanic inspect it, then say no. I would be thinking engine and transmission issues.

Yeah, one of the reasons I was interested was I thought my transmission was going noisy etc etc, but have just discovered the bearings in the aircon clutch have collapsed. Sliced the belt and pulled it out, and the engine's running super smooth again without any rattles...

On reflection I think I'm gonna keep the TDS and do a suspension overhaul and replace the compressor. I've traded several vehicles on in the last few months just because I lost faith in them... think I might forge on with this one, resist the urge for more power.

zhandax
07-02-2007, 12:38 AM
Eight previous owners? Not unless you get it for $500. But do get a 540i. If you get a good one, you will never regret it.

adashio
07-02-2007, 01:13 AM
god damnit! why are e34's so darn expensive in australia!!!

i paid $5999 for my 1995 520i and that was a bargain!!

thats 2500 pounds or $5030 american dollars

i hate you all

zhandax
07-02-2007, 01:28 AM
Why hate us? I paid US$4700 for mine, and had to fly 1000 miles and drive it back. All in, thats more than $5030.

adashio
07-02-2007, 02:01 AM
i dont hate you....i just envy your location. obviously more were imported so the price is lower.....from your sig i guess its a 540i...mines a 520i...bit of a difference :p

but yeah...i guess mine is more unique....never see many on the road

leicesterboy15
07-02-2007, 08:28 AM
This car has been listed a few times and hasn't sold. Not necessarily a bad thing but makes you wonder why. I love the 540, its a superb car, I would also go for the touring (being slightly biased) and check the tranny and engine out properly, also check for rust and rot and make sure all electrics work, everythin else can be fixed or replaced fairly cheaply. This car puts a smile on my face every morning and evening, its not just a to b transport!