PDA

View Full Version : OT: Going to Europe

Milkboot
06-28-2007, 08:02 PM
Going to Europe in about two weeks, flying into Madrid and then from there ummm well i have ideas of where i want to go but not really picky :) I do want to make it to london at one point along the trip, but just looking for some Do's and Don'ts anyone might be able to tell me. I know my attitude will be a little hard to swallow for them [Native Texan ;)] so help on that too would be nice.

Oh yeah, weather reports would be kind of nice for this time of the year. how is the humidity? :P

Evan
06-28-2007, 08:10 PM
how old are you? 20ish? i think you're way ahead of the game since you acknowledge you need an attitude adjustment...

is this your first trip outside of the States? and don't say you've been to mexico or canada ;)

ThoreauHD
06-28-2007, 08:56 PM
My advice is to skip France. And if you have to go, just say you're muslim and they'll give money for the trip.

Germany, Liechenstein, Switzerland, Austria, and the like are excellent. The women really dig when you try to speak german too. It's not a bad time at all.

Oh yea, one more thing. If you wear plaid, they automatically know you're American. They don't wear plaid in Europe.

yaofeng
06-28-2007, 09:40 PM
If you go with an attitude you are making it difficult for yourself.

Spain is no longer cheap. It is as expensive as the US, if not more expensive. London? Forget about it. You'll be spending the English pounds like you do US dollars here for everything and you get much, much less.

rob101
06-28-2007, 09:41 PM
My advice is to skip France. And if you have to go, just say you're muslim and they'll give money for the trip.

Germany, Liechenstein, Switzerland, Austria, and the like are excellent. The women really dig when you try to speak german too. It's not a bad time at all.

Oh yea, one more thing. If you wear plaid, they automatically know you're American. They don't wear plaid in Europe.
wtf is plaid?

LunatiC
06-28-2007, 09:59 PM

+1 for Switzerland. It really is a beautiful country. Expensive though, don't expect your US dollars to go as far as they do back home.

Most countries in Europe now are expensive, save for the smaller and poorer countries like Albania and Moldova. I take it those countries are probably not ones you're will to travel to though ;)

LunatiC
06-28-2007, 10:00 PM
wtf is plaid?

Google Images returned this:
http://www.angelfire.com/music4/ajfan2/images/PhotosFromTourBook/AJinBluePlaidShirt.jpg

Alexlind123
06-28-2007, 10:20 PM
Arent kilts a kind of plaid?

Jehu
06-28-2007, 10:25 PM
Tartan.
http://www.marthasheirlooms.com/images/Tartan.jpg

Alexlind123
06-28-2007, 10:30 PM
Tartan.
[IMG]http://www.marthasheirlooms.com/images/Tartan.jpg[/IMG

Same thing.

///Sniper535
06-28-2007, 10:35 PM
If you go to Germany, bring me back a black on Black E34 M5 3.8. Please?

LOL j/k

Jehu
06-28-2007, 10:38 PM
I've got to say that if some Continental derided me wearing my Clan's Tartan I'd have to shove a caber up their arse!
http://www.capitolwebdevelopment.com/sample/sport/gallery/images/Braden%20Caber%20Toss.jpg

Evan
06-28-2007, 10:39 PM
that is one sexy hunk of man

rob101
06-28-2007, 10:44 PM
:p
Google Images returned this:
http://www.angelfire.com/music4/ajfan2/images/PhotosFromTourBook/AJinBluePlaidShirt.jpg
I am sure thats exactly what milkboots looks like being from texas and all :p j/ks

Milkboot
06-28-2007, 11:22 PM
20ish would imply young 20's :P I am 28 :P

Milkboot
06-28-2007, 11:24 PM
Looks plaid to me :P

Milkboot
06-28-2007, 11:25 PM
NONE FOR YOU! If i do go there and pick on up, you can have my e34 :P but i keep the M5

Milkboot
06-28-2007, 11:26 PM
I think his kilt is to clean :P

Milkboot
06-28-2007, 11:31 PM
Well, money [hahaha ic ant belive i can say it] Really isnt a issue for me, because the trip is free, just paying for my way as i go. I changed my flight from going into Madrid by going into London now, because a friends brother who still lives in Scottland will be there and we are going to hang out for a few days now. then i am thinking of taking a short trip to Ntherlands to visit the motherland, The Heineken plant! acutally i dont tend on staying sober much through my trip :P from there, i may shoot down to france to get to Spain and then hop back to london, dosnt seem like to much to do in about 21 days

Barney Paull-Edwards
06-28-2007, 11:37 PM
Do the sensible thing, stay in formul one hotels, see the Prado in Madrid,buy a car from paper, cheaper than renting,go south for heat, north for true Spain.lose the boots, plaid and stetson. Yes, even for us country folk London is expensive so forget it.Switzerland?? Want me to do a Clarkson ?? Cuckoo clocks and banks.France best bargain, best food,if you cant get laid in Paris join a monastary.Early morn below Eifel with cafe cognac ,one of lifes good experiences,DO NOT HITCH.

Sam-Son
06-29-2007, 12:57 AM

I wouldn't wear plaid in my livingroom.

Go to Italy Check out Milano

Zeuk in Oz
06-29-2007, 01:09 AM
I have only one word for you :

ICELAND

Most amazing country in Europe, IMHO, and not to mention the most beautiful girls in the world !

Really !

Worth spending some time there. ;)

(But then again I am rather one eyed on this matter)

Jimbo
06-29-2007, 02:16 AM
Well, money [hahaha ic ant belive i can say it] Really isnt a issue for me, because the trip is free, just paying for my way as i go. I changed my flight from going into Madrid by going into London now, because a friends brother who still lives in Scottland will be there and we are going to hang out for a few days now. then i am thinking of taking a short trip to Ntherlands to visit the motherland, The Heineken plant! acutally i dont tend on staying sober much through my trip :P from there, i may shoot down to france to get to Spain and then hop back to london, dosnt seem like to much to do in about 21 days

You would actually be surprised how much time you need to really see these places. I just got back from a two week trip to southern Germany, Switzerland and Austria. This was a pretty compact area I was seeing, but I still felt like 2 months would be more in order. Basically, my advice is not to be too ambitious with how much you want to see or you might feel rushed through your whole trip and not be able to enjoy it as much.

CharlesAFerg
06-29-2007, 04:02 AM

Waar kom je vandaan?
Your'e Dutch too?
Ik ben Nederlander.

Ferret
06-29-2007, 04:15 AM
Do the sensible thing, stay in formul one hotels, see the Prado in Madrid,buy a car from paper, cheaper than renting,go south for heat, north for true Spain.lose the boots, plaid and stetson. Yes, even for us country folk London is expensive so forget it.Switzerland?? Want me to do a Clarkson ?? Cuckoo clocks and banks.France best bargain, best food,if you cant get laid in Paris join a monastary.Early morn below Eifel with cafe cognac ,one of lifes good experiences,DO NOT HITCH.

Haha, watch out for all the 'severe weather' here in the uk :P

Half the country seems to be underwater at the moment, iirc Sheffield was declared in a state of emergency eariler this week as buildings were being washed away and people drowned.

Oh yeah, dont bitch about the $7-$8US you'll pay per gallon gas when you get back, you were warned :D

EDIT: Forgot to say that the reason I replied to Barneys post was that I agree with him on France, It's one of the best places for food and the 'we dont give a f*ck' attitude of the locals. Relaxed 24/7 - Twas interesting driving round Paris a few years back with my parents, towing a caravan.

BTW, if you drive in Italy or Greece, expect at least three people to have tried to kill you on the road within 20 minutes of crossing the border/picking a car up. They're suicidal on the road and there are more dented cars than clean. Near a quarter of my family lives in Athens, and I've had a near death experience on the road every time we've been across.

Mas (UK)
06-29-2007, 05:24 AM
on a brighter sunnier day with your camera for a spectacular view of the town (not much around these days unfortunately and you might do well to bring some waterproofs). Although you mentioned beer might be one of your loyal companions along the way, it may or may not interest you to know that most of the museums in London are free entry. The country being swamp with age-old traditional values, it's also common courtesy to say 'Good morning' or 'Good afternoon' and shake the hands of those just around you when you take the underground (subway)! Listen to Lily Allen's 'Ldn' to get in the mood. Talking of undergrounds, if you go to Paris ... be careful of dodgey pocket thieves on the trains and platforms and keep your wallet secure and best near your chest than in your back pocket. Personally, I thought the food in Paris is over-rated and I would not go expecting american/texan sized platefuls either. Talking of food, I still remember a truly delicious half-cow-size-of-a-steak I had in a tiny little place called Mexican Hat in the beautiful deserted Monument Valley ... Mmm feeling hungry again! Talking of valleys, might want to check out the French 'Grand Canyon du Verdon' in the south. For scenic drives, try through the mountains in Austria on a sunny day. And as you obviously enjoy driving, then how about popping next door to enjoy the ... Autobahn (need I say more?!). Finally, a useful sentence while you are there, 'Ein Bier bitte'.

Enjoy your trip.

Mas

J.DeFeo
06-29-2007, 06:10 AM
They will know you're an American no matter what you wear, so don't bother worrying about that. What you should do instead is try not to ACT stereotypically American. Don't be loud, be as polite as possible, don't mangle their native language (as in, try your best to pronounce things correctly), don't talk about how "in the US we have public toilets, you know" etc. When I was in Italy it was amazing how different people's responses were to me when I was alone and acting on these rules rather than with the other loud, rude, obnoxious Americans that came along.

Maybe it's just an Italian thing, but if you're going to Europe you need to see Italy anyways. Besides hitting the regular spots (Rome, Florence, Venice, Naples), you absolutely must see Sienna and if you're a Ferrari fan, Modena.

Ferret
06-29-2007, 06:34 AM
Don't be loud, be as polite as possible, don't mangle their native language (as in, try your best to pronounce things correctly), don't talk about how "in the US we have public toilets, you know" etc.

The Germans and French are very much like this too, the Germans particularly respond very well to a decent attempt at speaking in their language. They're more likely to talk back in English if you make an attempt. If the person you're trying to speak to doesnt know english, they'll at least know engrish, or someone within 20 ft of them that does know english. Might be stating the obvious, but a high proportion of the German population speak english as a fluent second language.

The French we found like to make an effort to speak to you, if you make an effort to speak to them. (If this makes sense.) As a generalisation they're not particularly good at english, but they get the point across usually - they have excellent point and grunt skills :P

Had many a drunk franglaise conversation in french campsite bars :)

Love Mas' underground comment :D

Evan
06-29-2007, 08:07 AM
so true... go to youtube and search for greek moped or motorcycle accident... enjoy.

i've been to europe six times... but since i have no idea what you like i can't ecommend anything.

you're going to have a blast though... places to see:

greek islands for fun... pick an island
florence for art -- david, dome, ospedale, and more
amsterdam to research hoffman's potion
ibiza for music & women

Ross
06-29-2007, 08:22 AM
Yes, the Scots call it tartan.

Ross
06-29-2007, 08:36 AM
Going with an attitude isn't a good idea. Humiity in a strange place will get you much further.
I recommend Austria and Hungary, especially if you like to eat. Czech Republic has the finest beer known to man.
Vienna has much to see, the Viennese are an uptight bunch so don't think you are being singled out.
You will instantly be recognized as an Ami if you wear sneakers. We aren't terribly popular currently but if you make an effort to show we aren't all *******s you we be accepted.
Have a nice trip and a Budvar for me.

bsell
06-29-2007, 10:25 AM
Going to Europe in about two weeks, flying into Madrid and then from there ummm well i have ideas of where i want to go but not really picky :) I do want to make it to london at one point along the trip, but just looking for some Do's and Don'ts anyone might be able to tell me. I know my attitude will be a little hard to swallow for them [Native Texan ;)] so help on that too would be nice.

Oh yeah, weather reports would be kind of nice for this time of the year. how is the humidity? :P

I don't believe it, four pages of posts and not one suggestion to see the BMW museum in Munich!!!! It is right down there near the Austria/Switzerland end of Germany in fine Bavarian country.

For the past two weeks we have been having highs in the upper 60's and lows in the mid 50's with cloudy/rainy weather. This is in the Kaiserslautern area of western Germany (near Saarbrucken). The low pressure that flooded England has been throwing North Atlantic cold and wet at us non-stop so pack both summer/fall clothes. German weather site: www.wetter.com

Get an international drivers' license before coming if you want to drive. Check on your auto insurance to see what it covers on your rentals over here. Some credit cards offer good coverage also so check around...

Do us a favor in Germany and watch out for the folks pulling into your way while you are blazing in the fast lane. They hate to be 'inconvenienced' by waiting on you to pass them and will pull over at the last minute. Ain't nothing like doing a 'brake check' from 120mph to 70mph in a second!

Brian

Barney Paull-Edwards
06-29-2007, 01:21 PM
Ok, route,london,london eye,montagu motor museum,ferry to France,paris,train to Adenau Deutschland, day at `ring, train to stutgart, porsche museum, then to munich(Augsberg I think?) BMW museum.train to Modena,lunch at Cavilino outside Ferrari factory(Earplugs for look over fence at fiorano), Sienna,train to Nice,Arles,Lyon,le Mans,ferry back,done.$1500 would get you a car/BMW to do it!

Sidney Rough-Diamond
06-29-2007, 01:46 PM
Noticed a few American accents at the Nurburgring the other week. Some had rental cars ,others had rented a stripped 'racer' from www.rent-racecar.de
Germany is very nice and clean, more so than my home town of London which is both expensive and dirty.

Milkboot
07-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Its not to much differnt then my work, We get alot of people that come into the shop that try to speak broken english and chinese [owner's language] I hear a littlebit of somthing in chinese that i know and i am already off doing what theyw anted, and when i come back they try thier best at english.

Always good to atleast try to show respect i guess then :)

Milkboot
07-04-2007, 12:36 PM
Yeah, I am just taking the trip as it goes along now, If i see somthing in a paper i would like to see, i am gonna do my best to see if i can hop on a train and go :)

Milkboot
07-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Motherland = Heineken bewery :P :P :P

Sorry hehe

My family is Mexico on moms side, and orginally SW england [Pafford Combe] also where my last name comes from

Milkboot
07-04-2007, 12:45 PM
Hahaha, sounds like driving in Houston! especially the area where me and SnakeyesTX use to work, we would see accidents like every 2 weeks or so, near misses like every week.

Gonna miss that old place :P

Mas (UK)
07-05-2007, 04:09 AM
... then to munich(Augsberg I think?) BMW museum.

The BMW museum is in Munich itself, literally across the road from the Olympic Park. It's a funny looking building that looks like a huge metallic aluminium coloured smooth cereal bowl. It has a spiral walkway inside with cars and bikes either side of you as you slowly walk up towards the flat top of the 'bowl'. The goodies range from little dinosaurs from about the early 1900's all the way to sexy Claudia Schiffer-like F1 supermodels of recent years. The BMW HQ office building is next door and looks like 4 shiny round bars effortlessly joined together at the centre. Obviously the architecture and design of both these buildings is as striking as the cars that are lovingly carved out of solid granite in the manufacturing building behind them. :)

Just for information.

Mas