PDA

View Full Version : LCA Question

Ferret
06-28-2007, 09:16 AM
Guys,

Gotta do the lower control arms shortly as the cars started wandering all over the place, I noticed they were shot at when I did the brakes.

Question is, what's the best way to get the nut off at the hub end?

It looks like it's going to be a complete arse to break that 19 nut with the breaker bar, cos you cant hold the plate steady?

Does the plate stay fairly sturdy while you try and twist the bolt off, or should I try something more creative like a dremel and cut the nut off the stud?

BigKriss
06-28-2007, 09:26 AM
use a vice to hold the hub steady. I did this job a few days ago but didn't use a vice I used a breaker bar, but the arms were swining around a lot, I didn't care becasue both upper and lower arms were being replaced so I didn't care how the ball joints ended up or ripped. I wore steal cap boots and stood on it while i cracked the nut with a breaker bar. It worked for me. I first removed the lower "hub end" the 3 x 19mm bolts. Bill R did a good writeup on this a while ago. I used two bricks to position the hub and knocked the control arm out with a hammer.

Does the plate stay fairly sturdy while you try and twist the bolt off - Not really, it moved around a bit. With the Upper control arms there, the balljoints may become ripped. Maybe a mate can stand on it while you break it. Good luck

Ferret
06-28-2007, 10:02 AM
use a vice to hold the hub steady. I did this job a few days ago but didn't use a vice I used a breaker bar, but the arms were swining around a lot, I didn't care becasue both upper and lower arms were being replaced so I didn't care how the ball joints ended up or ripped. I wore steal cap boots and stood on it while i cracked the nut with a breaker bar. It worked for me. I first removed the lower "hub end" the 3 x 19mm bolts. Bill R did a good writeup on this a while ago. I used two bricks to position the hub and knocked the control arm out with a hammer.

Does the plate stay fairly sturdy while you try and twist the bolt off - Not really, it moved around a bit. With the Upper control arms there, the balljoints may become ripped. Maybe a mate can stand on it while you break it. Good luck

Hmm, sounds like its gonna be a pain in the arse, anyone had any luck with a nut splitter type device?
http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/01/p1163601_l.jpg

632 Regal
06-28-2007, 11:21 AM
the nut isn't as big a problem as seperating the balljoint end from the plate. an impact will spin the nut off in a second, a balljoint seperator or picle fork is needed unless you do the Bill R method and remove the whole assembly and use a hammer.

Ferret
06-28-2007, 03:05 PM
the nut isn't as big a problem as seperating the balljoint end from the plate. an impact will spin the nut off in a second, a balljoint seperator or picle fork is needed unless you do the Bill R method and remove the whole assembly and use a hammer.

I aint got no impact wrench :/

Maybe time I invested in one of these: DeWalt Kit here (http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=66213&ts=62204)

Blitzkrieg Bob
06-28-2007, 03:26 PM
you could buy a compressor and an impact wrench

Ferret
06-28-2007, 03:30 PM
you could buy a compressor and an impact wrench

For a third of that price, yeah. Trouble is I've gots nowhere to plug that kinda kit in/store it living in a flat :/

Tbh it's probably cheaper just to pay the local garage to change em over...

632 Regal
06-28-2007, 03:37 PM
dont be afraid of the nut, it's not that tight. It will loosen up.
For a third of that price, yeah. Trouble is I've gots nowhere to plug that kinda kit in/store it living in a flat :/

Tbh it's probably cheaper just to pay the local garage to change em over...

Barney Paull-Edwards
06-29-2007, 01:35 PM
Use a wedge, will destroy boot but you can buy boots from Demon Tweaks,it WILL come off quite easily.Keep TDS and buy an impact wrench,or a 540 and buy a snap-on van!