PDA

View Full Version : How much toe when getting a wheel alignment done

BigKriss
06-28-2007, 01:26 AM
I've installed new upper and lower control arms and fixed camber plates, now I need a wheel alignment. I realise only a front wheel alignment is needed as there is no adustment for the rear wheels and only toe can be adjusted on the front wheels. I goto Kmart across the road from where I live and they said it would take over an hour to align becasue "I didn't tell them about the camber plates", well I said "they are fixed plates, there is no adjustment on them?". I'm wondering what marijuana they have been smoking????

The bently manual outlines the toe settings as;

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/492/toeav3.jpg

Can you tell me what this means and give me a guide to how much toe I should ask for?

attack eagle
06-28-2007, 01:37 AM
tell em that much... about 7-9 minutes per side, for a total of 14-18 minutes

7 if you autocross frequently, 9 if you drive daily.

If they can't figure that out, then leave.

BigKriss
06-28-2007, 01:40 AM
thanks very much it's on h&r sport springs if that makes any difference. I realise the bently manual doesn't note those springs. I understand now, all the bently settings are saying 18 minutes +/- whatever...

tell em that much... about 7-9 minutes per side, for a total of 14-18 minutes

7 if you autocross frequently, 9 if you drive daily.

If they can't figure that out, then leave.

attack eagle
06-28-2007, 01:57 AM
Straight ahead toe requirement doesn't change with ride height, but the amount of toe that naturally occurs when the wheels are turned does. Thus the various specs depending on ride height.

More toe = more stable, less toe = less stable/ twitchier.

Just be glad you don't have to specify your settings for rear toe and camber like i do. Only place in town that will even touch mine is the Dealership. Everyone else is too afraid to touch it. Even the dealer is afraid to set it to some random number out of a book or computer when it isn't close to stock...