PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought...

///Sniper535
06-27-2007, 08:30 AM
Every time I look up how to remove the gauge cluster, the say to remove the steering wheel or lower the steering column. I don't have tilt wheel and i did not feel like taking off the steering wheel. After some analyzing the situation. I found a way to take out the gauge cluster without taking the steering wheel off.

I've never heard of anyone doing this. So I thought i would post how to do it. On a LHD car anyways.

1. Unscrew the cluster, pull it straight towards to. This is where the steering wheel gets in the way.

2. Push back the right side of the cluster (temp gauge side) back into the opening of the dash so you have it at a 45 degree angle.

3. Tilt it down so the face of the cluster is almost touching the top of the steering wheel.

4. Now, carefully turn the wheel with the cluster riding the top of the steering wheel. Carefully avoid the turn signal lever.

5. Unplug all the connectors and it's home free from the car!

This is also less time consuming. I did it in about 20 seconds.

Note: Make sure the steering wheel isn't locked.

Ross
06-27-2007, 09:05 AM
Yes, that works fine but requires a bit of care as it's very tight.
One caveat; make sure the ignition NEVER gets swithed on with the cluster disconnected. If you do the SRS warning will be triggered, that requires a trip to the dealer for resetting.

bmwrp8
06-27-2007, 11:41 AM
Yes this very effective,I always do this also but be careful not to apply to my pressure or the cluster might crack

nixter
06-27-2007, 02:00 PM
Yes, that works fine but requires a bit of care as it's very tight.
One caveat; make sure the ignition NEVER gets swithed on with the cluster disconnected. If you do the SRS warning will be triggered, that requires a trip to the dealer for resetting.

I was driving around recently with the cluster out trying to track down a faint buzzing noise. No SRS warnings.

mamilapon
06-27-2007, 04:20 PM
Done this too, works very well, just have to be careful.