PDA

View Full Version : Blown engine due to coolant loss, damage?

tgrandahl
06-27-2007, 12:51 AM
Ok, so im pondering buying a car three states away that has a "blown engine" due to "coolant loss". i would be buying it off a back lot as salvage but with a clean title and such of course. Due to the nature of the sale this is really the only information i can get on how damaged the engine is. I wish i knew if it was totally seized, or have somebody run a comp test, but i cant its a gamble.

Now im thinking to myself i can still get a deal on this even if i have to pay $3500 for another engine, but i can really make out if its rebuildable. I tend to take pretty good care of my car so i have never personally seen damage done to a BMW engine from overheating or abuse. The pictures show that the car car is in immaculate condition so im thinking (preying) about some little old lady that doesn't know whats going on and keeps driving the car? This brings me asking here what do you think the most likely damage is, we are talking about a m54 by the way. Can i get away with just $1k for a newish head etc. and then some to tear through the cooling system. or do you think odds are this thing is really worthless except for a core charge? Thanks for any input.

~Tyler

Ross
06-27-2007, 03:19 AM
Without knowing which engine it's tough to speculate as to what the typical damage might be. Assume the worst if no specifics are given.
Since you say it's on a back lot I'll guess it's at a dealer so assume this also: if it is truely in immaculate condition they would likely repair it themselves or a wholesaler would have bought it.
Pictures, unless very good ones of exactly the right places are worthless. I have beautiful photos of a car I once owned that was an absolute rust bucket pile of ****.
Expect and pay for only a fair car with a junk motor.

fkong777
06-27-2007, 10:06 AM
What year is this car? Mileage on Chassis?

I assume over 100k miles since that is when the waterpump or Rad will fail.

entire used motor is $1200
shipping is $150-200
install by an Indy I estimate another $1000.
towing to shop $60-$100
Your time - $?
Remember to add misc items. Radiator? A/C and or worn suspension parts you will not know until the car is running.

let say a excellent 95 525i (newest and best looking e34 525i IMHO) is in average price of $6000. With all the work you are putting in.. I believe you will not "make out" as a good deal unless you do your own work or buy the car at about $1500 or less.

if you cannot get the car under that price. I seriously recommend finding a working car. Since a car over 10-15 year old with blown engine should really be a freebie from a friend or neighbor. Also Sadly should become a parts car.

tgrandahl
06-27-2007, 10:57 AM
Yeah, thats a good point, when i said the car looks immaculate i just meant that there is no body damage. The car was donated to the charity that is selling it, it looks like the pictures were taken at a bmw dealership though. They list the vehicle as being in private storage. I ran a carfax on it and it came up totally clean, one owner in NY ever since it got off the boat. There is no record of anything related to this problem on the carfax, if it was processed by a dealer wouldn't you think that would be listed? The engine is a 2004 3.0L M54, i don't know how much damage would could do without being on record or making a real mess.

fkong777
06-27-2007, 11:22 AM
Oh so its a 2004 5 series? forget all the number I typed. M54 would be hard to find used since it is so new. Hard to imagine a 2004 car get donated to charity since it still worth 20K.