PDA

View Full Version : E34: 'Elegant' way of removing rear (bench) seat bottom

ktteoh
06-26-2007, 11:39 PM
folks, i tried the published method of sitting on one end and pulling it up HARD - doesn't work. maybe it's because of my skinny light build :)

i wonder if this is indeed the 'correct' way. are there other means like poking at the 'latches' with screwdriver etc ie something that doesn't need brute force.

any pictorial guide would be appreciated as well.

Alexlind123
06-26-2007, 11:47 PM
I just reach in and give it a tug, i i probably weigh less than you. After you take yours out a few times it should loosen up.

swenpro
06-27-2007, 12:18 AM
Well, don't SIT on the seat while you're pulling it up, rather squat without sitting and pull up HARD! Many times! It will come off eventually! :D

LunatiC
06-27-2007, 01:24 AM
Agreed, takes a few tugs. All notions of fear of ripping your rear seat to shreds should be forgotten, and give it a few almighty tugs.

Morgenster
06-27-2007, 02:02 AM
Yeah, mine gets out easier now after a few times taking it out. First time was hardest. The clamps that hold the seat down are strong so don't worry about putting your back into it (unless your back is weaker than the clamps).

Ross
06-27-2007, 03:04 AM
Don't go poking around with screwdrivers, etc. You can bend the catches to the point where pulling up on the seat only jams them in worse. The solution to that is far from elegant.

whiskychaser
06-27-2007, 03:10 AM
i wonder if this is indeed the 'correct' way. are there other means like poking at the 'latches' with screwdriver etc ie something that doesn't need brute force.

Wouldnt go trying to lever it up with a screwdriver as you may damage the leather/fabric of the seat. It will come up but you have to push the seat back a bit and then lift. Where I DO use a screwdriver is in locating the brackets that stick down into their 'holes' when putting the seat back in. Its not a good plan to try to do this with your fingers while you bounce up and down on the seat :)

Paul in NZ
06-27-2007, 04:37 AM
Its not that hard,really.Back door wide open both feet on ground,bend in to the rear seat both hands on bottom edge of seat near the corner fingers gripping the bottom edge.Pull up firmly.... it will come up! Repeat for other corner

Podmore
06-27-2007, 04:49 AM
Everybody has their own way - I straddle the trans hump, back against the rear seat back, no bum on the seat, grab hold of the front of the seat on each side of the hump, and pull up smartly. Voila!

filip00
06-27-2007, 05:04 AM
just grab the seat on the corner, next to the rear door hinges, and just pull UPWARDS. that's it.

Dave M
06-27-2007, 06:20 AM
Roll car upside down, open rear doors, then push down ;)

Macv
06-27-2007, 06:52 AM
Just be careful not to destroy your spine after the clips do give way.

brosher
06-27-2007, 08:28 AM
Well, don't SIT on the seat while you're pulling it up, rather squat without sitting and pull up HARD! Many times! It will come off eventually! :D

Right, it's all in the legs. Watch some body builders doing squats and you get the idea. Grunting loudly gets bonus points. :D

attack eagle
06-27-2007, 06:37 PM
LOL.

your problem was that you were sitting on the seat.

I jsut grab in right in front of each eeating position and snatch it up. Pulling it doesn't seem to work well, but a snatch is always good. (you can read that anyway you want)

Elekta
06-27-2007, 09:27 PM
elegant, you mean like not getting it caught in your skirt on the way up?

nope..no elegance. Just pretend you're strapping in a car seat; it's awkward, you're somewhat contorted, and yet you get it done.

Alexlind123
06-27-2007, 09:42 PM
elegant, you mean like not getting it caught in your skirt on the way up?

nope..no elegance. Just pretend you're strapping in a car seat; it's awkward, you're somewhat contorted, and yet you get it done.

Its kinda like shoveling manure elegantly.

ktteoh
06-28-2007, 12:28 AM
folks, thank you for all your tips. and no i wasn't sitting on the seat - more like "hovering".

however despite my tries, it won't budge. i wonder if instead of pulling - i should give it a quick/sharp jerk - since i have had a hernia ops done before, i'm cautious about doing it this way.

where is the best place to put the hands to have the maximum leverage on the latch points (where exactly are they anyway?).

attack eagle
06-28-2007, 01:23 AM
right about the middle of each side's seating area.

IF my 4 year old can do it... so can you.

filip00
06-28-2007, 03:52 AM
^i disagree, i think he should grab the seat on the corner edge, toward the door hinges. just give it a strong quick jerk and it should snap out. just watch your head and your back so you don't slam on the roof :D

Macv
06-28-2007, 07:35 AM
Holy crap... how many people have to answer the same question?

Wheres that video clip of the guy pulling it out? I've been searching for about 10 minutes with no luck. It would solve all of this.

Ferret
06-28-2007, 08:25 AM
My TDS rear seat pops out with almost no effort at all, a gentle pull at the corner of the seat causes it to pop out...