PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Control went dead - HELP!

western99
06-26-2007, 08:42 PM
So I was driving along the highway and I went to engage the cruise control today and nothing took. I checked the fuse when I got home and it was still good. Last week when I was driving and I engaged it, it held, and then for some reason it went off and then I engaged it again, it held for a while and the same thing.... it went off. Today nothing took at all when I went to use it. Not sure what the problem is or even worse I do not even know how to diagnose the problem. I am thinking that maybe perhaps the actuator went? Any insight from you folks would be much appreciated. I hate having something on my car that does not work. It drives me nuts.

Thanks

Brian
95 525ia 253k
Toronto

Macv
06-26-2007, 08:45 PM
I hate having something on my car that does not work. It drives me nuts.

Same here..... you just reminded me that MY cruise control doesn't work either. Sorry no insight.

gale
06-26-2007, 09:17 PM
Could be as simple as the brake light switch. Those tend to be a common problem.

(edit): Also check the speed sensor in the diff. When they accumulate metal particles on the tips of the sensor, it can send a spurious signal that can kick it out of cruise.

pingu
06-27-2007, 07:05 AM
I posted a repair procedure (with photos) for the cruise control earlier this year - probably around March. Try a search for those keywords on my posts.