PDA

View Full Version : Rear pitman arms (dogbones) failure

zmuff
06-26-2007, 10:35 AM
I just finished installing a new set of Meyle dogbones on my 535i, fortunately it's not a hard job. I am however, very disappointed in the quality of the ones I pulled off. I bought them from FCP Groton 14 months ago (less than 8000 miles). The rubber had completely failed allowing the bushing to make contact with the pitman arm...sounded like crap on rough pavement, not to mention those unwanted rear steer qualities. Although I can't knock FCP Groton's sales, service, and prices, I will question their suppliers. I know of lots of folks that have purchased from them, and I hear stories of early failures. Here's a pic of my experience. You get what you pay for. Okay...bitching done. Time for a frosty adult beverage. Cheers!
http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/zmuff/original/dogbones%20006.1.jpg

Macv
06-26-2007, 10:50 AM
Buying Meyle sounds like your headed down the same path as the FCPs. I don't hear too many good experiences with them.

Heres to 14+ months problem free!

Vanguard
06-26-2007, 11:48 AM
What brand did FCP supply? Were they the Hamburg-Technic stuff? How's the rest of your rear suspension?

If the subframe bushings and mounts are bad, it might lead to premature pitman arm failure. I'm not defending FCP, just curious.

CharlesAFerg
06-26-2007, 11:58 AM
What brand do you guys recommend?

Tiger
06-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Sach-Boge... $12 each at Autohausaz.com

Blitzkrieg Bob
06-26-2007, 02:50 PM
Dogbones, still hanging in there after 2 years.

mikell
06-26-2007, 02:50 PM
Lemforder.

Blitzkrieg Bob
06-26-2007, 02:54 PM
Sach-Boge... $12 each at Autohausaz.com

This is not a dogbone:
87934A
Sachs-Boge
Stabilizer/Sway Bar Link; Rear Left/Right
2 per car.

Robert K
06-26-2007, 04:50 PM
I think I bought some front sway bar end links from them years ago. Same thing...the boots went bad about a year later. I think they buy cheap parts and sell them cheap. But in the end, you learn that you get what you pay for. The consensus on the board is that Lemfoerder is the way to go if you can afford it. I too have ordered Meyle parts from BMA. I can't comment much on the longevity of the Meyle stuff yet.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i

BMWCCA1
06-26-2007, 04:58 PM
The 'bones pictured in the original post look like they have simple rubber bushings in the cast arm. The proper Trac-Links have a bearing with a rubber outer seal, like a sway-bar link. Even when the rubber outer seal rots, the bearing still holds the link in the correct orientation and won't allow any drastic camber changes which is the function of the link in the first place. Make sure whatever link you buy has an actual bearing, not just a bushing.

BigKriss
06-26-2007, 07:59 PM
I have meyle dogbones with over 2.5 years and 25,000kms and they still look fine.

Tiger
06-26-2007, 10:35 PM
Ohhh... you mean 33321126476 at autohausaz.com... $33 a piece Karlyn

opivy15
06-27-2007, 04:39 PM
I just finished installing a new set of Meyle dogbones on my 535i, fortunately it's not a hard job. I am however, very disappointed in the quality of the ones I pulled off. I bought them from FCP Groton 14 months ago (less than 8000 miles). The rubber had completely failed allowing the bushing to make contact with the pitman arm...sounded like crap on rough pavement, not to mention those unwanted rear steer qualities. Although I can't knock FCP Groton's sales, service, and prices, I will question their suppliers. I know of lots of folks that have purchased from them, and I hear stories of early failures. Here's a pic of my experience. You get what you pay for. Okay...bitching done. Time for a frosty adult beverage. Cheers!
http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/zmuff/original/dogbones%20006.1.jpg

My 1998 528i may have the same problem as you. The suspension squeeks and rattles everytime it articulates. The camber is too much on the rear where it is wearing the insides of the tires out. (about 1 inch of the inside of the tires is worn almost bald.). Do you think this is my problem?

632 Regal
06-27-2007, 07:46 PM
the FCP ones looked like that after a couple months, haven't seen them in a while so their probably a real mess now. Everything from FCP that I tried ended up being total junk. Good people, shitty parts. Lemforders next time.