PDA

View Full Version : Gas, I swear it wasn't me!!

i_willnotlose
06-25-2007, 09:15 PM
Hey guys,

I'm getting a strong gas odor when, my 1995 e34 sits parked for awhile? Any clues as to what this is?

repenttokyo
06-25-2007, 09:21 PM
a leak.

Al Gray
06-25-2007, 09:28 PM
Hey guys,

I'm getting a strong gas odor when, my 1995 e34 sits parked for awhile? Any clues as to what this is?

You did not state what engine you have but I will assume it is a 525i and you have the M50 engine. You could have some leaks along the fuel rail. Pull off the plastic top cover (two nuts hold it on under small plastic covers. Once off check to see if the rubber hosing running from the fuel rail to the injectors is leaking or if the hose clamps are not tight. Does the gas smell come from under the hood or from the rear of the car? If emanating from the rear, check around the fuel filter near the gas tank to see if there is any leakage. If you are getting a gas smell there should be leakage where fuel travels.

i_willnotlose
06-25-2007, 09:34 PM
a leak.

Thanks smart ass

repenttokyo
06-25-2007, 10:15 PM
Thanks smart ass

I wasn't being a smart ass...I don't see how I could be any more specific given the information you posted. You smell gas when it sits, I call that a leak.

Now, if you had posted "I think I have a gas leak, when I leave the car for a while there is a gas smell near the front/back/middle of the car, there is / isn't a puddle, i do/don't see drops condensing on some fuel lines" - well then you have a better chance of getting more specific answers.

A word of advice: calling people names isn't going to get anyone to help you around here.

GoldenOne
06-26-2007, 06:25 AM
I get a gas odor every time I fill up without any visible signs of leaking....i probably should look into this

Ferret
06-26-2007, 06:55 AM
You did not state what engine you have but I will assume it is a 525i and you have the M50 engine. You could have some leaks along the fuel rail. Pull off the plastic top cover (two nuts hold it on under small plastic covers. Once off check to see if the rubber hosing running from the fuel rail to the injectors is leaking or if the hose clamps are not tight. Does the gas smell come from under the hood or from the rear of the car? If emanating from the rear, check around the fuel filter near the gas tank to see if there is any leakage. If you are getting a gas smell there should be leakage where fuel travels.

I agree with this, if it's a 525i and you're getting gas smells from under the hood, it's most likely to be the short 2-3" sections of fuel tubing coming from under the manifold to the fuel rail.

If these are leaking it's usually because they've perished and wont compress properly any more... change them quick. Between the first fuel smell and full blown rupture I had less than a week, and man, when these rupture it'll empty your fuel tank in minutes...

I wish I'd got a photo of the 4 foot wide fuel spill mine created.

Elekta
06-26-2007, 07:32 AM
If the smell goes away after the car warms up then it's definetely along the fuel rail. The rubber tubing is shot, but with heat it expands enough to still hold. Make sure to get the right diameter hose, and new hose clamps.

and don't be tho thenthitive, after all you thwore it wathn't you

whiskychaser
06-26-2007, 03:02 PM
Suggest you check it cold. Start up and look for leaks around the injector feed pipes as suggested but also the injector seals themselves. To be honest I think its somewhere else as you dont mention you can smell it inside the car. (the fan blows the fumes back) Could never have a cigarette till the car warmed up so sorted this early on :)

ThoreauHD
06-27-2007, 08:36 AM
iwillnotlose, to help diag you can fill out your profile to include your auto specs and the like. That'll help keep finding the exact cause of the problem as well.