PDA

View Full Version : UUC RK2 Knob with attitude?

Jon K
06-24-2007, 06:25 PM
http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/My%20E34%20525i%20Interior/knob1.jpg

I bought the knob and was never happy with the clear coat that was applied to it - so I sanded it off using a drill to spin it, then polished it out and left it like that without clear coat. It was a PAIN IN THE ASS to keep clean as it was raw aluminum. Thought about repolishing it and clearing it, but went ahead and powder coated it gloss black.

E-brake handle matches.

Jr ///M5
06-24-2007, 07:11 PM
It looks good Jon. You should mount your gauges in the void ahead of the shifter, find some trim rings and give them the same treatment. Looks like black chrome.

Jr

Macv
06-24-2007, 07:19 PM
Whats the diff from your previous?

winfred
06-24-2007, 07:35 PM
he then need to find a new home for the megaview, that's the little display you can see in the shifter pic, it's for the engine computer

It looks good Jon. You should mount your gauges in the void ahead of the shifter, find some trim rings and give them the same treatment. Looks like black chrome.

Jr

Jon K
06-24-2007, 07:56 PM
he then need to find a new home for the megaview, that's the little display you can see in the shifter pic, it's for the engine computer

Yeah like winfred said, the megaview is in front there, it shows about 30 engine parameters in a scrolling fashion. I'd need about 8 gauges to get the data that I currently have. I have the 3 gauges in the glovebox for when I am tuning (psi, egt, and oil temp).

rob101
06-24-2007, 11:06 PM
Yeah like winfred said, the megaview is in front there, it shows about 30 engine parameters in a scrolling fashion. I'd need about 8 gauges to get the data that I currently have. I have the 3 gauges in the glovebox for when I am tuning (psi, egt, and oil temp).
Jon, this is a bit off topic but how do you use the EGT in tuning. does it correspond to the richness of the mixture or the effeciency of the turbo. I've heard of using it in Diesel tuning but not so much in petrol turbo applications.

Jon K
06-24-2007, 11:47 PM
Jon, this is a bit off topic but how do you use the EGT in tuning. does it correspond to the richness of the mixture or the effeciency of the turbo. I've heard of using it in Diesel tuning but not so much in petrol turbo applications.

EGT = Exhaust Gas Temperature

The higher the temperature, the worse the system is. High temps are your enemy. To lower temps, you run more timing. So, EGT is a tool for tuning timing. Sure you can listen for knock, but I am not knocking now. How do I know my timing is too low? The lower the timing (safe for knock) the hotter the EGT (bad for turbo/car). If you run 25 degrees of advance at full boost you will probably blow up an M50. If you run 2 degrees of advance, most of your combustion process is happening during the time the exhaust valve is open and you're flooding your manifold and consequentially your turbo with straight heat. 1300...1400...1500 degree F temps are normal... 1600 and you have to start considering running less boost so you can run more timing so as to not destroy your system thermally.

rob101
06-25-2007, 12:11 AM
EGT = Exhaust Gas Temperature

The higher the temperature, the worse the system is. High temps are your enemy. To lower temps, you run more timing. So, EGT is a tool for tuning timing. Sure you can listen for knock, but I am not knocking now. How do I know my timing is too low? The lower the timing (safe for knock) the hotter the EGT (bad for turbo/car). If you run 25 degrees of advance at full boost you will probably blow up an M50. If you run 2 degrees of advance, most of your combustion process is happening during the time the exhaust valve is open and you're flooding your manifold and consequentially your turbo with straight heat. 1300...1400...1500 degree F temps are normal... 1600 and you have to start considering running less boost so you can run more timing so as to not destroy your system thermally.
Thanks, I knew what it meant but wasn't really sure how it was used in tuning petrol engines.

winfred
06-25-2007, 07:52 AM
to high a egt on a diesel and you melt pistons/scuff cylinders, the general accepted limit for most manufactures is 1250* pre turbo but some guys push 1500* or more and pay for it eventially