PDA

View Full Version : Are Alu and Steel LCAs interchangable?

Ferret
06-24-2007, 04:44 PM
Just having a nosey at the parts shops for some lower control arms as I noticed my balljoints are totally shot at... and there's steel and aluminium lower control arms.

There's a massive price difference of nearly double for the alu control arms so I was wondering if they're interchangable? Lemfoerder parts would be real nice :) but I really dont want to have to shell out $140/arm.

632 Regal
06-24-2007, 04:53 PM
no need to pay for aluminum, steels are fine and do interchange. I didnt notice any difference at all.

Just having a nosey at the parts shops for some lower control arms as I noticed my balljoints are totally shot at... and there's steel and aluminium lower control arms.

There's a massive price difference of nearly double for the alu control arms so I was wondering if they're interchangable? Lemfoerder parts would be real nice :) but I really dont want to have to shell out $140/arm.

rob101
06-24-2007, 04:55 PM
Yes they are interchangeable I believe the aluminium arms are M5 arms.

Ferret
06-24-2007, 05:01 PM
no need to pay for aluminum, steels are fine and do interchange. I didnt notice any difference at all.

cool, cheers for the replies guys, the balljoints are moving enough in the current alu arms that if you give the wheel a firm smack, it moves a good inch :O only noticed it while I was doing the brakes...

Might as well do the bearings while I'm under there as they've started to howl.

Damn this cars turned into a liability lol.

Is there space to get a ball joint separator in there? (Which I've already got handy) or will it need something more substantial like a pickle-fork?

rob101
06-24-2007, 05:08 PM
cool, cheers for the replies guys, the balljoints are moving enough in the current alu arms that if you give the wheel a firm smack, it moves a good inch :O only noticed it while I was doing the brakes...

Is there space to get a ball joint separator in there? (Which I've already got handy) or will it need something more substantial like a pickle-fork?
if you're using new arms you can just use a pickle fork and don't have to be careful and use a seperator. but I think you can use either.

Barney Paull-Edwards
06-24-2007, 05:18 PM
be careful to get the right bearings if you go to G&S,early and late are different due to a difference in the stub axle,the wrong ones will go again fast and G&S do not know the difference.Check the flanges on yours(assuming they were original) are the same as supplied.There is a thread somewhere showing this.Keep at it and good luck,no better car when its right!

632 Regal
06-24-2007, 05:32 PM
You might want to upgrade the bushing to the M/5 bushing. I did and wont look back.

Bellicose Right Winger
06-24-2007, 05:42 PM
My 10/92 build 525i has/had the aluminum arms. I've replaced (1) w/steel due to a bad ball joint.

Paul Shovestul

Yes they are interchangeable I believe the aluminium arms are M5 arms.

rob101
06-24-2007, 05:47 PM
My 10/92 build 525i has/had the aluminum arms. I've replaced (1) w/steel due to a bad ball joint.

Paul Shovestul
interesting....

yaofeng
06-24-2007, 06:03 PM
My 95 used to alumunum too. I replaced with steel.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/yaofengchen/BMW_95_525i/DSC_1540.jpg

Ross
06-24-2007, 06:14 PM
The alum. is used to for lower unsprung weight. Technically your dampers will have to work harder with the steel arms.

rob101
06-24-2007, 06:20 PM
The alum. is used to for lower unsprung weight. Technically your dampers will have to work harder with the steel arms.
My idea was also that they were used on the m5 allow better roll stiffness whilst not comprimising ride.
I don't really see that it will make a huge difference though in reality.