PDA

View Full Version : My gauge placement

Jon K
06-23-2007, 12:58 PM
I don't like gauge pods floating around the cockpit - and I hate them having A-pillar gauges etc -- I just like how clean the E34 interior is without stupid **** sticking out. I considered doing a 2 gauge pod in the sunroof switch area fiberglassed, but I dunno - not really feeling it.

So I came up with this, I can close it when I don't want to see it. It'll work great :)

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/My%20E34%20525i%20Interior/gauges1.jpg

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/My%20E34%20525i%20Interior/gauges2.jpg

I'll be replacing them so they all match - Boost, EGT, and oil temp.

Qube
06-23-2007, 02:25 PM
Now there's no room for fun stuff in the glove box like a road rage gun :|

Nice stuff though.

attack eagle
06-23-2007, 02:45 PM
LOL I keep my cd changer in there.

you ever consider an HUD style Boost gauge?

when I first read this I was 1/2 expecting to see a 95 dash top with the gauges under the "airbag" cover.

Macv
06-23-2007, 03:15 PM
Looks nice... but seems like a strain on your neck maybe?

Jon K
06-23-2007, 08:53 PM
I don't use gauges constantly - no one should. If you rely on gauges you either have a car that is not worth streeting or very little faith in your tune.

I am to run boost (for when I am configuring my electronic boost controller), EGT (for tuning timing), and oil temp for when on the dyno and not trying to break my new engine.

Gauges in the line of sight are a distraction from what you should be doing and personally I find them to be quite ricey in an E34.

Do not forget I also have a digital read out:

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/MegaView/1.jpg

for monitoring IAT and AFR. Other than that, I don't need gauges to blink at me ;)

GoldenOne
06-23-2007, 09:00 PM
where did you get the suede shift boot from?

Paul in NZ
06-23-2007, 09:02 PM
what about down below the ash tray or even delete the ash tray and have em down there.I am going to have the ipod down there somewhere and sliding in and out when i get my lazy ass into gear to install my new sounds..

Jon K
06-23-2007, 09:04 PM
what about down below the ash tray or even delete the ash tray and have em down there.I am going to have the ipod down there somewhere and sliding in and out when i get my lazy ass into gear to install my new sounds..

My mother made the suede shift boot and e-brake boot for me.

I do not like gauges. Its nothing but a means to draw attention. This is a 5 series, not a honda prelude. I have an inconspicuous digital dash in the shifter area that shows me 80 engine figures, 2 at a time selectable... the last thing I need are 3 huge 2" back lit lights sticking out of my A pillar so when I drive at night I get a head.

Macv
06-23-2007, 09:05 PM
Gauges in the line of sight are a distraction from what you should be doing and personally I find them to be quite ricey in an E34

Agreed... but even if the gauges weren't connected, I'd be looking at them. :D

Your 5 still continues to amaze me. I request an updated video.

Jon K
06-23-2007, 09:07 PM
Agreed... but even if the gauges weren't connected, I'd be looking at them. :D

Your 5 still continues to amaze me. I request an updated video.

Soon enough - I dropped my engine off at the shop for machining on Friday. Soon enough.

Once you've been around this stuff a bit, you get bored of the same old 3 gauge pillar pod blinking at you as you cruise from your GF's house at 2AM.

Dr. evil
06-23-2007, 09:10 PM
might as well put them under the hood

Jon K
06-23-2007, 09:11 PM
It's quite difficult to see under a hood while street tuning ;)

Macv
06-23-2007, 09:12 PM
It looks like the megaview is much brighter than the carpc screen. Is that just the shot maybe?

Last question: How hard is it to keep the suede clean? I've got to do something with my shitty wood trim, but I don't want to deal with something I'll bitch about. (I'm super anal)

Sam-Son
06-23-2007, 09:57 PM
... but I don't want to deal with something I'll bitch about. (I'm super anal)
yeah I can tell by your sig pic

Macv
06-23-2007, 10:08 PM
yeah I can tell by your sig pic

I was in the hospital all last month. That was NOT a pretty thing to see when I came home.

Jon K
06-23-2007, 11:14 PM
It looks like the megaview is much brighter than the carpc screen. Is that just the shot maybe?

Last question: How hard is it to keep the suede clean? I've got to do something with my shitty wood trim, but I don't want to deal with something I'll bitch about. (I'm super anal)

Well the PC was in the bios screen which is light grey on black, so naturally its not bright. The megaview is a electro-fluorescent display and is very bright, but the car pc is also when showing an image or menu.

Paul in NZ
06-23-2007, 11:18 PM
i was thinking something like gordon did.Three liitle gauges just in front og the shift lever

Sam-Son
06-24-2007, 02:26 AM
I was in the hospital all last month. That was NOT a pretty thing to see when I came home.
Feelin' better I hope. And your saying that you didn't photoshop that writing someone did that?

Macv
06-24-2007, 04:21 AM
Feelin' better I hope. And your saying that you didn't photoshop that writing someone did that?

Yes, finally feeling much better. And no, that's not photoshopped >:( There was also writing on the hood.... my friends suck.

attack eagle
06-24-2007, 07:38 AM
Soon enough - I dropped my engine off at the shop for machining on Friday. Soon enough.

Once you've been around this stuff a bit, you get bored of the same old 3 gauge pillar pod blinking at you as you cruise from your GF's house at 2AM.

LOL. OR seeing it on other people's cars.