PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Cluster LCD unclear

t_marat
06-23-2007, 12:35 PM
What could be the cause for the instrument cluster digital indicaters to be like in the pic? This only happens when its hot. It could be winter also, when it becomes hot inside the car. something temperature dependent.

pingu
06-23-2007, 12:40 PM
Probably a bad connection (though that doesn't help you pin it down!), given that it works when cold.

Ross
06-24-2007, 11:21 AM
Disassemble the cluster and find the display. Gently squeeze it at the point where a rubber sort of connection attatches to it, you'll see what I mean.
This connection is by some sort of adhesive I think and can work it's way loose enough for temperature changes to make it drop out.
Mine is cranky in the cold. A gentle press to the cluster glass will restore operation on mine.

pingu
06-24-2007, 05:28 PM
That's a good point - the connection between the circuit board (or maybe a connector) and the glass of the LCD is usually done in one of two ways:
1) pieces of conductive rubber (coloured black) alternating with white, insulating, bits of rubber, or
2) a bit of rubber with tiny vertical wires running up inside it.

Whatever sort you've got, if you can find a way of squashing the rubber a bit between the LCD and the circuit board then you might be able to restore the electrical connections.