PDA

View Full Version : Sway Bar Link Help!

nirvana19
06-22-2007, 10:33 AM
okay, I know this should have been a 20 minute job. I'm changing the rear sway bar links. Removing them was quite an adventure, one side came off in 10 minutes (very rusty) but the other side took two hours! I got the nut off, but the bolt wouldn't come out. It was just sort of stuck there, inside the link, so I couldn't pull it off. I ended up cutting it out and finally got the links off. Now however I'm finding it impossible to get the new ones on. Twisting. pushing, hitting, they just won't go on. I'm not the strongest person alive but, this is ridiculous! I've tried the soapy water thing, rubbing alcohol to soften, leaving in the sun to warm up, taking a dremel and cleaning all the rust off the sway bar. This sounds silly but, how do I get the thing on! I need to get my car our of the garage, and I've spent far too much time on this

stgarage
06-22-2007, 03:21 PM
I did mine about a year ago. I remember it sucked but I believe I used scotch brite on the swaybar, synthetic grease and a socket and c-clamp or hammer to force them on. Best of luck.

Pretty boring for my first post.

Whackamac
06-22-2007, 04:04 PM
put a jack under the shock, just behind the rotor and jack the shock up until everything lines up.

skr
06-22-2007, 07:03 PM
red bull?

nirvana19
06-22-2007, 07:39 PM
thanks everyone! the red bull worked. Just needed persistence, god damn that was a bitch to get on. Control arms easier... I ended up dremeling a little more and getting the surface real smooth and putting a thing coat of POR-15 on there to prevent rust. Had to beat the thing on but in the end it worked out. Now to choose tomorrows maintenance item... hmm... my cooling system could use a flush and some fresh blue bmw coolant.