PDA

View Full Version : black molding

alexander525
06-21-2007, 06:21 PM
i was wondering where i can purchase some black molding for my e34. im not really a fan of the chrome i have on it. or is it possibly for me to just paint it myself. if thats the case how do i go about it?

-alexander

Macv
06-21-2007, 06:28 PM
If you're talking about the chrome around the windows, search: shadowline.

You can buy it already black, you can paint it yourself, or you can use blackout tape.

You can buy black kidneys from abrahamsmotorsport.com

BuckNaked
06-21-2007, 06:29 PM
You are talking about shadowline trim. That can be a tad pricey for the right stuff. And labor intensive.
Supposedly there is a tape that with careful installation and maintainance might give you a couple of years of service. I have no personal experience other than doing some light research and deciding I like the trim as is, and my money where it is.

Macv
06-21-2007, 06:30 PM
I have no personal experience other than doing some light research and deciding I like the trim as is, and my money where it is

Same here

filip00
06-21-2007, 07:01 PM
i painted my chrome trim myself. you have to leave at least 4-5hours for your work if you want to do it properly.

first you seal everything BUT the chrome, you stickytape and newspaper cover the windows, doors, roof, everything surrounding the chrome trim. you use some fine sandpaper, let's say 1000 or 2000 grit. scrub the chrome trim until you feel it's clean. no need to scratch out the chrome, just to clean it properly.
then you put some primer spray on the trim, use at least 2 layers to cover it properly.

use MATTE black color to black out the trim. 2 layers at least.

let it dry for an hour or two.

remover the tape and newspaper and admire your so-cool shadowline trim :)