PDA

View Full Version : 530 auto slipping... "just a fluid flush"?

TC535i
06-21-2007, 10:23 AM
Looking at buying a 530 wagon, and the transmission is slipping. Is this ever just a service issue, or is it a downward slope from here?

If it doesn't work out, I know a 4 liter and 6 speed that really wouldn't mind having a touring host... ;)

TC535i
06-21-2007, 10:23 AM
Oh, and do the autos have a tranny dipstick to check level, color, etc?

pgrindstaff
06-21-2007, 10:54 AM
Oh, and do the autos have a tranny dipstick to check level, color, etc?

Nope, no dipstick on the auto tranny.

Tiger
06-21-2007, 10:57 AM
It is possible he got a leak and didn't top it out that the fluid level is low.

Or he did the work himself but didn't know he is supposed to have car running while topping off the fluid.

Or... the tranny simply got a problem.

TC535i
06-21-2007, 11:06 AM
It is possible he got a leak and didn't top it out that the fluid level is low.

Or he did the work himself but didn't know he is supposed to have car running while topping off the fluid.

Or... the tranny simply got a problem.
I think this is kinda a "second car" sorta deal... might be low, he mentioned that. Of course, he is trying to sell a car.

ThoreauHD
06-21-2007, 11:35 AM
There is no always, but often it's a fluid issue. Kinda need to know the mileage and if he ever changed the transmission/differential fluid. If he doesn't know and it's over 80K, there's your answer. I would use it to negotiate a cheaper price, and replace the fluid and done and done.

TC535i
06-21-2007, 12:00 PM
There is no always, but often it's a fluid issue. Kinda need to know the mileage and if he ever changed the transmission/differential fluid. If he doesn't know and it's over 80K, there's your answer. I would use it to negotiate a cheaper price, and replace the fluid and done and done.
He doesn't know, it's over 80k, and it's been negotiated (2500). I just want to know if that's a solution, or if "the damage is done"

Tiger
06-21-2007, 12:24 PM
I would say if the car is under 120,000 miles, it is very unlikely the car has a transmission issue that required a rebuild.

$2500? That is cheap enough... what are you waiting for?

TC535i
06-21-2007, 12:48 PM
I would say if the car is under 120,000 miles, it is very unlikely the car has a transmission issue that required a rebuild.

$2500? That is cheap enough... what are you waiting for?
The weekend? ;)

winfred
06-21-2007, 09:53 PM
530s are a extra special pain in the ass to check the fluid, in the bottom of the pan theres a hole up into the pan with a big plug in the top of it, get the tranny warmed up pull the plug and squirt fluid up and into the pan till it runs out, dextron III will work ok, you will need some sort of pump with a short piece of tube to stick up into the tranny's *******, you gotta sorta squirt at a angle to get it in the pan or it will just fall back down out of the gaping *******

Tiger
06-21-2007, 09:57 PM
LOL... All I did was drill a hole on the cap for the tube to slip through tightly... and the just squeeze the bottle to fill the tranny. The bigger the tube, the faster and easier to fill... I used clear tube but any tube would work as long you got the drillbit to do it.

attack eagle
06-22-2007, 04:43 PM
I just got one of those "giant syringes" for $12 at autozone. Suck the fluid from the bottle and then squirt it into the tranny.

632 Regal
06-22-2007, 05:51 PM
budget in a new trans, you could get lucky with a fluid issue but lets think here, he is selling it for what reason: a slipping trans? He is scared of replacement costs.
The weekend? ;)

winfred
06-22-2007, 09:21 PM
i find the stern drive lube pump is more handy, it screws right onto the bottle and you don't spill anything, they use to be only available at marine shops but now i am seeing them at most part stores and places like wally world

I just got one of those "giant syringes" for $12 at autozone. Suck the fluid from the bottle and then squirt it into the tranny.