PDA

View Full Version : Anything to look out for?

///Sniper535
06-20-2007, 09:20 PM
My car is reaching 150K and it's running pretty well. I'm planning a trip to Florida in August and plan on taking the 535. It's a 900mile drive. Is there anything i should check/replace before i go on this trip?

I'll be replacing these soon:
-V-Belts
-Coolant
-Rear Muffler
-Oil & Filter(Castrol GTX High Mileage) I had 10W40 last change

Things I've recently replaced:
-Ignition Coil (because my car died and i thought that failed)
-Crank Positioning Sensor (That's what had failed)
-New Tires
-Water Pump
-Fan Clutch
-Fan Blades
-Drive Shaft Center Support Bearing (I still get a whistle sound from the drive shaft)
-Brake Pads and Rotors (less than a year ago)

I'll probably want to change my Trans. Fluid too.

What could fail and keep my car stranded somewhere i don't wanna be and have to spend lots of money to fix?

Thanks.

Elekta
06-20-2007, 09:39 PM
I'd just pack some bulbs, some Dot4, some blue antifreeze, and some jumper cables...maybe air up the spare and check your lug nuts. Couple of mini hose clamps and a nut driver?

Better time is spent guessing your stops to look for an interesting lunch or midnight crash spot. You'll be driving tanks at a time, so 360 miles or so and you'll need a gas and go or a gas and nap. Some times a 30 minute snooze is good for 4 more hours of cruising. Do you have a navigator or are you solo?

Keep treating the truckers nice and you may get a good tail light tow in the rough hours.

I love road trips

///Sniper535
06-20-2007, 09:45 PM
From DC to Central Florida is about a 12 hour drive. I'll be with my g/f. I did the drive last year in one run but with her '02 Jeep Liberty. Took 2 1/2 tanks to get there. So on my e34, i'd get better gas mileage.

ThoreauHD
06-21-2007, 01:38 AM
I would look at the trans/diff fluid/transmission pan as well. Doesn't cost that much even for red line and it'll give you peace of mind/better performance if it hasn't been done within 60-80K miles. Road trips are pretty damned fun.

Paul in NZ
06-21-2007, 05:02 AM
Esp your kind of road trips geoff....you have the ultimate road trip soon.....any word?.
Back on topic i have just done a 1200 km trip,600 each way,no worries thats really what these cars are built for!Check the fluids,pump up the spare,make sure your credit card is good and go!Take your time keep up your fluids and enjoy!