PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Replacement Gone Bad

Vanguard
06-20-2007, 09:59 AM
I'd almost finished out replacing the radiator on my '94 (7/93 Build) 530i, but when I went to reconnect the upper transmission cooling line, I found that the hose fitting (nut) threads had stripped. It's looking like it may be a dealer only part (17221723848 OIL COOLING PIPE INLET, Qty 1). Does anyone know if this is a low pressure line and if so, is there a barb fitting I might be able to use as a substitute until I can find a replacement?

This is my daily driver and I need to get her back on the road as soon as possible. I did make several attempts at cleaning/chasing the threads but I didn't have much luck. I will be visiting an industrial hardware store at lunch to see if I can find an M18 thread chaser, but I'm not holding out much hope. :(

winfred
06-20-2007, 12:03 PM
fairly low pressure, i've used hose clamps and a small flare of the end of the pipe to keep em going

Vanguard
06-20-2007, 05:56 PM
Thanks winifred. Yve has ordered a new one for me, but the delivery date looks to be next Monday. The local junkyards are coming up negative on a used part, so it looks like some good ol' fashioned redneck engineering is in order for this evening.

Is there equivalent terminology in german? :)

mamilapon
06-21-2007, 03:49 AM
Thanks winifred. Yve has ordered a new one for me, but the delivery date looks to be next Monday. The local junkyards are coming up negative on a used part, so it looks like some good ol' fashioned redneck engineering is in order for this evening.

Is there equivalent terminology in german? :)
lol

winfred
06-21-2007, 08:01 AM
i am use to it, it's just one of those names that nobody gets right, just about anything works even ******* and hey you

Winifred? lol

Vanguard
06-21-2007, 08:58 AM
Winfred. Sorry about the spelling mishap. :D

Thanks again. I sectioned the metal portion of the hose last night, chased the threads with an M18 spark plug chase and put it back together using some 3/8" trans cooling hose and a couple of hose clamps. Took her for a test drive last night and all is well. It looks like I should be good until I get the new part from BMA.