PDA

View Full Version : Door rust - lower M-tech Trim

Scott C
06-19-2007, 02:49 PM
Just had the great pleasure of removing the driver and passenger door lower trim to fix some rust. Easy getting these off - just grind and pull.

Putting new ones back on - huum. This was a biotch. I POR'd the rusty part under the trim and then painted the whole lower door (I had surface rust visible on the doors above the trim) up to the middle trim, prior to installing the new trim - which on my car have to be painted, lucky me - so I did that as well.

Tip to those doing this job, I put the trim on nearest the end of the door and pushed like hell upward (not sideways), got it pretty well on then moved it along the way to the other end. I taped it up (was already painted) to protect the paint, then used a wooden block covered with duct tape and hammer hitting on the wood to get the freaking thing on.

This was a base/clear paintjob, my first with a new EVO LVLP gun and I like the way it came out, I may even take pictures if it stops raining. I also ended up doing the trunk lid as I found a bunch of rust there as well (under the lip, just above the lights).

Scott

Scott C
06-21-2007, 06:20 PM
Okay,

Had to post pictures, they don't do the paint justice (anything would look good in these photos).

Doors before and after (the rust was only 1-2" above the trim) but was depressing to look at - northern NY salt really sucks.

No before picture on the trunklid (boot), but it was nasty looking under the lip above the lights. Notice the emblem is still off - huum - I would never stick an M5 badge there but I can dream :D It is a new BMW emblem...

Base coat was really fast - was impressed (of course black is easy with no metalflake) with how well it covered. Clear coat went on even easier. I haven't done this in 10 years and was really surprised with how it turned out. I didnt even bother buffing the doors - the orange peel matched the factory really well.

I used a cheapo disposable plastic suit for coverage of me (prevents lint) and really wish I had used better eye protection - although there is little overspray with the basecoat, there was more than I thought with the clear coat. I used a charcoal disposable respirator - never even got a wiff of that nasty stuff. And this was done outside on a really nice day.

Scott