PDA

View Full Version : differences in steering columns

ROBMPULSE
06-19-2007, 08:45 AM
I bought a steering column yesterday from a local breaker. It is tilt. Mine is not. I was told, no worries, it'll fit.

I start taking my column out of the car, when I noticed there is a (what I think) is a neutral saftey switch cable that seems to come out of the dash somewhere, and screw in where the ignition lock is. I saw the guy unhook it at the yard when he pulled it out. without that hooked up, it will not let the key turn back all the way and release.

I could NOT find this cable in my car. I looked everywhere. Also, the airbag had a different plug. It had the same plug on the wheel end, but a different plug on the firewall end.

I am taking the column back, and they are going to replace it. If I run into the wire difference again, can I just use my old wire from my old column, or should I also switch the airbag??

Blitzkrieg Bob
06-19-2007, 02:27 PM
that went with it.

If you're retro fitting this to an older model the steering wheels are differant.

check the knee bolster from the tilt car, it may be different.

Grab as much of the wiring and trim as possible

ROBMPULSE
06-19-2007, 03:59 PM
I don't want to retro fit. I am trying to find a direct replacement.

I have located one. I went to pick it up, and the idiots cut all the plugs going to the column. So now I have to wait on them to order another one from a different location. The good news is they are going to ship it directly to my house.

Thanks for the input, though

Dr. evil
06-19-2007, 04:17 PM
whats wrong with the original streering column?