PDA

View Full Version : When to replace ignition wires

Al Gray
06-18-2007, 10:15 PM
My son, Sean, is now the driver of my 1992 525i. We just replaced the exhaust catback with all new hanger brackets. It is Ansa and is working fine. The M50 engine runs fine and has about 195,000 miles. I have had the car since 2000 and I bought it with 110,000 miles on the odometer. I have replaced plugs and coil packs but never the ignition wires. As far as I know they could be original. Should I replace them and if so what kind or wires would you recommend and where should I buy them. I have bought a lot of stuff from BMA. What should I expect to pay?

ArtemLepilov
06-19-2007, 01:19 AM
In your car you will not be replacing ignition wires as you would have to swap the entire harness, and unless there is something seriously wrong with it, there is no point in doing so. The cars you replace ignition wires in are the ones using the mechanical ignition system whereas your car as the M50 engine and an updated electrical ignition system.

pingu
06-19-2007, 04:43 AM
Put another way, in your M50 engine, each spark plug has its own ignition coil mounted directly over the spark plug. There aren't any HT leads, although there is some LT wiring to the six coils.

ThoreauHD
06-19-2007, 06:36 AM
Only time you replace the wiring harness is when you would say replace the ignition coils that have no resistors, like the bavarian auto red coils. The standard OE bremi/bosch and the like, you don't needa replace the harness.