PDA

View Full Version : removing oxidation

markus
06-17-2007, 08:43 AM
can somoen recomend me something i can get at like advance auto to help remove swirls/oxidation on my car? i have P21S carnuba wax and their paintwork cleanser. I was thinking about some sort of cleaner wax to help remove the oxidation.

CharlesAFerg
06-17-2007, 09:57 AM
can somoen recomend me something i can get at like advance auto to help remove swirls/oxidation on my car? i have P21S carnuba wax and their paintwork cleanser. I was thinking about some sort of cleaner wax to help remove the oxidation.

I'm a detailer, send me pictures and I'll tell you.
You're probably going to have to cut the paint with a light compound.

P21S should be used only on paint that's not oxidized so if you clay, cut, polish, and seal - then it should be ready for the wax. It won't look very good on oxidized paint, but it will look outstanding on freshly polished paint! P21S is one kind of wax I use, but it won't last long, that's why I recommend some kind of paint sealant beneath it, which should last around 4 months.

Don't use "cleaner waxes" Use a multi-step system, since you're newer to the detailing scene I would recommend trying mothers 3-step first - as it is non-abrasive and really simple to understand and use. The reason I recommend this is because if this removes enough oxidation after you apply the first two steps you should be okay, but cutting the paint would be the most effective - just not for someone new just yet.

Make sure you do this all (except applying the waxes) with a machine though, otherwise the polishes won't be effective.

Milkboot
06-17-2007, 01:30 PM
Oooh oooh, once it stops raining [every day for the past week] i will get pictures of mine and share too :P ive had so many mixed responses from friends, but someone who REALLY does it, thier input would be more appriciated :D

Macv
06-17-2007, 01:52 PM
I'd go with a fine cut compound and sealant. Bye bye swirls.

CharlesAFerg
06-18-2007, 03:28 AM
I'd go with a fine cut compound and sealant. Bye bye swirls.

Basically - I just detailed my dad's '00 E38 740i sport for fathers day, and it looks absolutely phenomenal. It took all day, but it's worth it.

For those looking for "jrobbo" results from a car with sunswirls all over it, try this-
I wrote it myself, it's my small business otherthan my job.
If you've got any questions about product or anything at all please let me know.
---------------------------------------------

EuroLux:. Outline of standard detailing procedures

WASH 1/2
Wheels
-rejuvinate wheels with appropriate cleaning products
-spray with non-hydroflouric cleaners if necessary (citrus degreaser), rinse – wash with wheelsponge/brush
-heavy scrub of tires according to wheel type Rag dry
-autowash rinse and rag dry
-tire cleaner foam, let set, then autowash rinse and rag dry
Exterior 1/2
-wash lower sections of automobile using autowash w/dirtSponge w/2 buckets.
Convertables
-convertible vinyl/fabric?
-clean with appropriate 303 cleaner kit
-follow up with specific protectant
Exterior 2/2
-wash upper sections with cleansponge

DOOR JAMS 1/2
-clean hood/trunk/door upper/lower sections, scrub all seals

ENGINE BAY 1/2
-clean engine bay with a clean, wet rag and degreaser when needed

CONVERTABLES
-convertible vinyl/fabric?
-clean with appropriate 303 cleaner kit
-follow up with specific protectant

TAR/BIO REMOVAL
-tar/paint/biological foreign contaminate removal w/ Grow Super Klean

CLAYBAR
-claybar on surface with autowash as a lubricant for claybar(dilute half cap w/12oz water in spray bottle)

WHEEL TREATMENT
-tar remover
-claybar if applicable
-wheels hand treated with tire treatment
OPTION: extra tire shine using petroleum product?

WASH 2/2
-wash all sections with yellow cleansponge or orange productsponge

INTERIOR
-use soft brushes on all crevices of interior to dislodge dust
-vaccum interior and trunk
-clean and protect carpets, RanOrb carpet attachmentw/ carpet cleaner
- lint brush to remove debris from cloth
carpet/floormat cleaning with RanOrb and carpet attachment using scotch guard(cleaner/protectant?)
Interior vinyl trim
-CLEAN using water-based interior cleaner on all plastic/vinyl besides steering wheel
-ONLY if needed:scrub using goof-off on some badly stained vinyl spots OR scrub with diluted simple green solution & magic eraser.
-PROTECT using interior potectant on plastic/vinyl besides steering wheel
-wipe off protectant
Laminate
-laminated wood may take plastic polish to smooth.
Leather
-clean leather using damp cloth and Lexol ph cleaner
-clean steering wheel if leather
-wipe off excess
-treat leather using damp cloth and Lexol conditioner
-treat steering wheel if leather
-let dry
-wipe off excess
Glass
-interior glass to be cleaned using spray bottle of glass cleaner (stoners invisible glass - safe for tint) using WaffleTowel: use water and newspaper if not tinted after first cleaning.
OPTION: interior anti-fog gel

HEADLIGHT HOUSINGS 1/2
-tape plastic drop cloth around housing
-My 3-step system(explained), or restoration procedure(other)
-wash housings using Autowash
-cleaner on RanOrb yellow pad 4500-5000 OPM using PC RO, various directions, repeat as necessary
-polish on RanOrb blue pad same speed, various directions

GLASS 1/2
Diamondite system.
-clay, scrub and seal

TRIM CLEANING
-if applicable (scratched), and trim isn’t coated or thin as to not discolor: Hand buff trim with very fine abrasives or plastic polish, whatever chemical is suited.

**TAPE OFF ALL TRIM**

PAINT CUTTING
-light compound cut with 6.5 yellow cutting pad or wool pad on RO at 5OPM
-swirl remover on 6.5 orange cutting or polishing pad

PAINT PROTECTION
-apply glaze (wolfgangs polish or menzerna system) with appropriate pad
-remove excess with micfibcloth
-apply synthetic paint sealant using RO finishing/finessing pad at 4.5OPM
-apply carnauba hard paste wax by hand (P21s Concours)
-or apply various utility paste waxes with finessing pad

TRIM FINISHING
-dye trim with Forever Black kit on course rubber/high absorption areas
-or Back to Black/303 aerospace on flat smooth surfaces

DOOR JAMS 2/2
-treat rubber seals (BMW Carbaflo) on door/hood/trunk/ext rubber or foam rubber seals

ENGINE BAY 2/2
-final scrubbing, heat protecting rubber/plastic treatment

HEADLIGHT HOUSINGS 1/2
-hand buff final sealant for maximum shine

METAL TRIM
-polish with various metal polishes.

GLASS 2/2
-final coat of rain-x, apply carefully by hand without any contact with the trim

**REMOVE TAPE FROM TRIM**

FINAL CHECKS
-using a toothbrush – remove product build-up from insignia, trim and exterior crevices
-remove any excess product from door jams, hood, and trunk
-remove any excess product from all exterior body panels with MicFibCloths to ensure perfect shine

CharlesAFerg
06-18-2007, 04:30 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Any thoughts on the above?
Took me months to get this procedure perfected,
so I'm looking for your guys' input. :D

Detailed my dad's car but couldn't get pictures of it! Sorry, would have...

rob101
06-18-2007, 04:56 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Took me months to get this procedure perfected,
so I'm looking for your guys' input. :D

Detailed my dad's car but couldn't get pictures of it! Sorry, would have...
you're a detailer? can I ask you some advice on some bad watermarks i've got on my roof. I need to get rid of them its probably the worst part of the paint job on my car :(

Macv
06-18-2007, 07:06 PM

Not bad, its a nice reference. I printed it out.

xspeedy
06-18-2007, 10:56 PM
Paint restoration takes good effort, good tools, and good products. Get yourself a PC, a hook/loop backing plate, some pads, and polish (not wax). Menzerna Intensive Polish is good for getting rid of the swirls, and Menzerna FPII or PO186FF is good for a finishing pass. The PC might be available at your local hardware store, but in the sander configuration.

Jehu
06-18-2007, 11:00 PM
I've been washing at a DIY car wash bay using their soap and a microfiber sponge to scrub the surface dirt off then drying with a drying mat then using Zymol HD cleanse which leaves a great silky smooth shine but i've only been able to time wise get the Zymol Carbon wax on once and every time i HD Cleanse and drive without wax i have to wash,dry,HD again and hope i can get the wax on. The paint is really so junked up though it only looks good from a few feet away but it can look sharp and today i got two unsolicited and i believe sincere compliments on the old girl.

Tiger
06-19-2007, 08:01 AM
Not one mention of Clay Bar... wow... you guys are really missing out on this... For majority of us who already had done polishing to the car with fine cut, all you really need is clay bar afterward... no more need for fine cut or major polishing.

I'd recommned AutoMagic Clay Magic... cheap and good... Autozone should have them if not go for the Mother's Gold for a bit more... 15 compared to 20.

CharlesAFerg
06-19-2007, 01:51 PM
Paint restoration takes good effort, good tools, and good products. Get yourself a PC, a hook/loop backing plate, some pads, and polish (not wax). Menzerna Intensive Polish is good for getting rid of the swirls, and Menzerna FPII or PO186FF is good for a finishing pass. The PC might be available at your local hardware store, but in the sander configuration.

For restoration here is what I recommend-

Compounding:
Menzerna Intensive Polish (PO91E) for heavily swirled/oxidized paint. Super Intensive Polish (PO83Q) for new ('03+) OEM scratch resistant coatings.

Polish:
Final Polish II (PO85U) to repair the swirls on older, softer conventional paints. Nano Polish (PO87MC) for new ('03+) OEM scratch resistant coatings.

Glaze:
Finishing Glaze (PO115C) to fill in minor imperfections on any freshly repaired coating with no abrasives while removing old wax residue that remains.

All of these products contain no silicone. Wonderful professional stuff, currently used by many german auto manufacturers.