PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Info Needed on ECU and Injectors

The Melmaan
06-16-2007, 09:50 PM
I have a problem which recently happened on my 1993 525i with M50 engine. The timing suddenly went out of tune. I took it to my mechanic and he said that #5 cylinder is not working and it could be the coil pack. I took the car home figure that it is an easy job. I bought a used coil and installed it. When I started, it is still out of tune. I ended up replacing all of the plugs and still out of tune.
I called my mechanic and he said it could be the injectors now or the ECU. I looked for injectors and ECU and I came up with the following part#s:
Injectors:
1.BOSCH 19 # FUEL INJECTORS PART # 0-280-150-700
2. 19lb Ford/BOSCH fuel injectors for use with the BMW motors
ECU:
1. BMW Part number 0 261 200 405
2. BMW Bosch 413 DME ECU
Which one is which on this items.
BTW, these are from EBay.
Help-Help-Help

Tiger
06-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Dude... stop swapping parts. You are going to blow major amount of money that probably won't solve your problem.

gale
06-16-2007, 10:13 PM
Do a stomp test. That will narrow it down to a specific coil or injector. You can swap coils with another cylinder and see if the fault follows it.

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Trouble/Engine_codes.htm

Take the cover off your E-Box (opposite corner from the fuse box) and get the number off your DME/ECU. A 93 could have either the 405 or 413 box. What's the build-date of your car?

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/ebox.jpg

Five-O has decent prices on injectorss. Your m50 motor should use 15 lb/hr injectors (154 cc/min): Bosch #0 280 150 415

632 Regal
06-16-2007, 10:16 PM
#19 injectors wont help much if you need smaller ones. Was there any oil in the plug boot area? I failed to replace the plug boots and spent a buttload of money and it ended up being a boot or 2.

ThoreauHD
06-16-2007, 10:33 PM
I would bring it to a mechanic that can actually solve the problem. Sounds like your mechanic is a retard.

The Melmaan
06-16-2007, 10:44 PM
I removed the plugs and I did not notice any oil but there is lots of carbon on the build up on the plug tips.
The engine light is not on.
I tried to check the engine codes by doing the sequence (i.e. E34 Site),
the lights will not come on.
The sequence is:
1. Turn on the ignition without starting.
2. Press the acc pedal 5 times
3. Wait for the lights to come on.
The lights did not come on.
THe other thing that my mechanic said is to check if there are any short on the ignition wires. I opened the casing of the wire but seems like all is in order.

The Melmaan
06-16-2007, 10:52 PM
Thanks, I will do that.
I tried to check the fault codes and it won't come up.
Is there anything special that I need to do after changing the plugs?
How do I remove the injector when it come to that point (I hope not).
If it not the injector, coil or plug... how do I check the DME/ECU?

The Melmaan
06-16-2007, 10:54 PM
I know it is a very expensive proposition. If this is a none sophisticated electrical issue, what do you think can I do?
What is next???

The Melmaan
06-16-2007, 11:01 PM
I think he is but he is the only one I can get to.

ryan roopnarine
06-16-2007, 11:40 PM
the stomp test won't be able to detect a grossly leaking fuel injector on the m50, don. i would assume that you brought it home because you had enough mechanical ability to fix it yourself? if so, can you tell a misfire by feeling the car or disconnecting ignition components and detecting a change in the quality of idle? i'm not suggesting you do this if you don't have the aptitude, but there really can be only two things wrong with it at this point (within reason)--your mechanic didn't do anything particularly wrong. if you have the ability, swap one of the fuel injectors around with number 5.

gale
06-17-2007, 12:10 AM
Couldn't find the e34 Bentleys .pdf but here's one for the e36. Same m50 engine. Check sections 120 and 130:

(92 Mb)

http://www.e36fanatics.net/site/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=0

Get an inexpensive digital volt-ohm-amp meter & check stuff like the reference sensor, coil resistances, etc. Like Ryan said, some stuff can fly under the radar & not trip the CEL. I'm not sure why CEL can't produce the stomp test. Is it a US model? Is the bulb burned out?

The Melmaan
06-17-2007, 01:23 AM
Thanks for the help...
I love my car and I have to do something about it.
It is so strange that it was running fine. I parked somewhere, turned off the car, started it again and there it is....out of tune.

The Melmaan
06-17-2007, 01:32 AM
That is what I was gonna do next, I still trying to observe how to remove the fuel line which is sitting on the top next to the ingnition wires.
Do you know of a better way of doing this?
There are 2 nuts on the top and there are rubbber hoses connected to one end next to the firewall and on the other side there is also another rubber hose.
My fear is if I start removing it, there will be pressure from the line and I will be taking a bath with 92 octane gasoline.

632 Regal
06-17-2007, 10:57 AM
stick a bunch of rags under the fuel rail in the rear and slowly release the pressure from the hose clamp. you might get some spray but in doing it slow you should be able to move the rage around til the pressure bleeds off.

That is what I was gonna do next, I still trying to observe how to remove the fuel line which is sitting on the top next to the ingnition wires.
Do you know of a better way of doing this?
There are 2 nuts on the top and there are rubbber hoses connected to one end next to the firewall and on the other side there is also another rubber hose.
My fear is if I start removing it, there will be pressure from the line and I will be taking a bath with 92 octane gasoline.

smcgowan
06-17-2007, 11:16 PM
If the coil shorted it's possible that you blew the ECU. When my wifes 93 525 lost a coil it killed the ECU also. I replaced the coil and still ran like poop.. Pulled ECU and opened it up. I could see the blown piece. Replaced the ECU and everything is good. I did go on and replace all the other coils and Put a EAT chip in for good measure. The ECU cost big bucks 5 years ago.. I've seen them on EBAY for less than a couple hundred. Back then it was close to a grand...OUCH!

ArtemLepilov
06-18-2007, 02:30 AM
Talk to me on AIM: ArtemLepilov

I had the exact problem and will guide you step by step.