PDA

View Full Version : Slightly OT: Effect of LSD on torque steer?

Adnan
06-15-2007, 12:07 AM
Hi,

I've been looking at the new Cooper S and test drove one. Nice car, but it just screamed "front wheel drive". After years of driving an E34, the dynamics simply didn't feel right.

Fortunately, Mini offers an LSD option for the car. Would that increase or decrease torque steer? With 173 HP in that short wheelbase and narrow track, I'm sure torque steer will always be present but can it be tamed by the LSD? Dealer didn't have one to test drive and I suspect it's not a common option, at least in the Bay Area with its mild weather.

Thanks,
Adnan

Jon K
06-15-2007, 12:28 AM
It would decrease it depending on the lockup which is conventionally 25%. The mini cooper is said to have zero to minimal torque steer because its half shafts are of equal length. The only way torque steer could become evident is with one or the other wheel losing traction.

AutoXr
06-15-2007, 05:55 AM
Having Autocrossed Mini's at the National level, I can back that up. Very minimal with or without a diff. Even with the diff, we have to deal with pretty massive inside wheel spin...it's not a great diff.

FWD vs RWD is different in a sense, but the Mini's are very enjoyable to drive. I think most enthuseastic drivers would love it.

Barney Paull-Edwards
06-15-2007, 01:38 PM
The lsd offered in a mini is a Torsen/quaife, not a plate diff so will not bite but will not lock up totally.I can only assume autocrossing is a different sport in US as a mini would get slaughtered here, unless it had a box below the engine.

nizmainiac
06-15-2007, 06:28 PM
you can't beat the original mini's can you:)

Adnan
06-15-2007, 09:10 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the input. I agree that the Mini is "fun" but I probably need to get used to it to enjoy it to the fullest.

Your point about inside wheel spin is well taken; I hit a manhole cover during a short sprint and that wheel spun. The steering angle change was startling, to say the least. The diff should help at least a little in that regard.

I will test drive some more and see if it feels better this time around.

Again, thanks,

Adnan

gale
06-15-2007, 09:48 PM
Forget about torque steer, what about hearing colors with LSD? :p

Adnan
06-15-2007, 10:05 PM
Forget about torque steer, what about hearing colors with LSD? :p

I was waiting for someone to go in that direction! That's why I didn't write "limited-slip diff".

:-)
Adnan