PDA

View Full Version : Lowering your 5

Raz
05-09-2004, 02:38 AM
Having just fitted 35mm lower springs along with new shocks (it seemed a shame not to do both at the same time) I notice that my rear wheels are now noticeably cambered. Do I need to sort this out with a correction kit? I am concerned about tyre wear, although the handling doesn't seem to be adversely affected

George M
05-09-2004, 06:42 AM
only recourse is eccentric trailing arm bushings to dial in a bit more positive camber.
Then there is the issue of installing them properly to get the desired result. Perhaps someone will post who has done so successfully. All suspensions when dropped increase negative camber because suspension travel is a natural arc as viewed from the front or rear of the car. Most with lowered BMW's simply live with the increased negative camber which is more pronounced in the rear which has more negative camber to begin with. This is more problematic in staggered wheel/tire combo's as increased wear on the inside rear tires is pretty common and one can't therefore rotate a staggered wheel combo front to back to prolong tire life.
HTH,
George

Raz
05-09-2004, 09:03 AM
That's more or less what I thought George - my Nissan came back into spec by adjusting the eccentric bushes and to be honest I assumed that the E34 didn't have such an adjustment.

I will take the car into a 4 wheel laser alignment garage and see what they can do with it - I was going to get the tracking checked anyway.

Martin in Bellevue
05-09-2004, 10:57 AM
to am effective shorter dimension for this purpose.

For now, I'll just enjoy the damn thing with all 6 injectors firing.

George, shoot me yer address sometime so I can send ya a girlie calendar from Hawaii. baconmartin@hotmail.com

only recourse is eccentric trailing arm bushings to dial in a bit more positive camber.
Then there is the issue of installing them properly to get the desired result. Perhaps someone will post who has done so successfully. All suspensions when dropped increase negative camber because suspension travel is a natural arc as viewed from the front or rear of the car. Most with lowered BMW's simply live with the increased negative camber which is more pronounced in the rear which has more negative camber to begin with. This is more problematic in staggered wheel/tire combo's as increased wear on the inside rear tires is pretty common and one can't therefore rotate a staggered wheel combo front to back to prolong tire life.
HTH,
George

George M
05-10-2004, 07:51 AM
to modify the rear arms to dial back in more positive camber for a lowered suspension? Are you going to press in eccentric bushings into these arms or physically alter the geometry of the arms to change hub orientation and maintain stock concentric bushings?
Better be dam good if its the latter ;)
George

Martin in Bellevue
05-10-2004, 10:30 AM
But you're right, eccentric bushings would be the way to go. With the spare arms out & free, the opportunity is there.

to modify the rear arms to dial back in more positive camber for a lowered suspension? Are you going to press in eccentric bushings into these arms or physically alter the geometry of the arms to change hub orientation and maintain stock concentric bushings?
Better be dam good if its the latter ;)
George

Jeff N.
05-10-2004, 10:38 AM
But you're right, eccentric bushings would be the way to go. With the spare arms out & free, the opportunity is there.

Karl
05-10-2004, 11:44 AM
Toe in or out will wear tires faster than the camber, and the geometry of semi-trailing arms results in toe change as well as camber with change in ride height. When I lowered my old e12 car it ate up rear tires pretty quickly--alignment check showed a handful of toe out as well as negative camber. I could feel the toe out as oversteer -- yeeehaaa. I used the eccentric bushings to get toe back in spec and left the negative camber. Tha car handles great, and doesn't chew up tires badly any more.

Zaphod Beeblebrox
05-10-2004, 03:12 PM

Bill R.
05-10-2004, 03:20 PM

bal3056
05-11-2004, 10:33 AM
I wish to lower my E34, too. Have buddies that have lowered their E34s by changing to Eibach springs all round, but maintaining the OEM shocks. Looks good lowered with slightly harder than standard suspension feel. Certainly good for our bad roads here.
Do you think the shocks would last long with them bottoming out most of the time ... the OEM shocks travel is now naturally lower.
Advise please before I change to lower/firmer springs.

Raz
05-11-2004, 03:14 PM
The standard shock will not bottom out with the right springs - it is just that their stroke is further down and often shorter due to the lower ride height and stiffer spring rate.

That's my setup and I LOVE it - much more responsive, less body roll, less brake dipping and generally a much sportier feel without rattling out your tooth fillings!