PDA

View Full Version : Drain plug dripping

repenttokyo
06-14-2007, 12:29 PM
I've tried 2 different seal washers so far, one steel and one rubber, and my drain bolt on the oil pan keeps leaking. Do I need to use some kind of special aluminum crush washer?

Alpinewhite
06-14-2007, 12:33 PM
In my car there is an aluminium crush washer which I replace every oil change.

Barney Paull-Edwards
06-14-2007, 12:35 PM
Yes there is a way out of trouble. Its called a "dowty" washer, named after the company, consisting of an ali outer ring with a concave rubber/ butyl-nitrate inner. Was designed to deal hydraulic undercarriage seals and is the dog`s nuts at sealing awkward leaks in ali.Try an aircraft parts store.

repenttokyo
06-14-2007, 01:40 PM
i went to the dealer and bought a new drain plug (M50) and washers, but it's much much longer than what i currently have. I double checked and apparently it's the right piece....

repenttokyo
06-14-2007, 02:16 PM
ok, well, it's not the right piece. it stripped all the grooves out of my plug hole on the oil pan and now nothing fits anymore. I am completely ****ed. that's the last time i listen to the guy at the bmw parts counter.

whiskychaser
06-14-2007, 02:45 PM
ok, well, it's not the right piece. it stripped all the grooves out of my plug hole on the oil pan and now nothing fits anymore. I am completely ****ed. that's the last time i listen to the guy at the bmw parts counter.

Lks like I'm not the only unlucky one. Any chance you could get away with PTFE tape on the old bolt til you can get it sorted?

632 Regal
06-14-2007, 02:48 PM
that sux... maybe you can tap it to the next size?

repenttokyo
06-14-2007, 02:51 PM
it looks like I am actually the idiot in this situation. What actually happened was the top of the drain plug snapped off - leaving the hollow bolt in the thread, and taking part of the initial thread with it. It left enough thread on the bolt that I could actually drive with the bolt on and a washer and it stayed on, although dripping. When I tried to put on the new bolt, I couldn't see the old bolt in the drain because of the way the drain narrows - essentially, it was wide enough for my bolt for the first cm or so, but then it just stopped, and that is when part of the initial thread came off. So any suggestions as to the best way to remove the hollow bolt still inside my oil pan? I need to get that out so I can put the new plug in.

whiskychaser
06-14-2007, 02:56 PM
it looks like I am actually the idiot in this situation. What actually happened was the top of the drain plug snapped off - leaving the hollow bolt in the thread, and taking part of the initial thread with it. It left enough thread on the bolt that I could actually drive with the bolt on and a washer and it stayed on, although dripping. When I tried to put on the new bolt, I couldn't see the old bolt in the drain because of the way the drain narrows - essentially, it was wide enough for my bolt for the first cm or so, but then it just stopped, and that is when part of the initial thread came off. So any suggestions as to the best way to remove the hollow bolt still inside my oil pan? I need to get that out so I can put the new plug in.

Take your 'good' bolt to an engineering outlet and get them to sort out a tap for you. You will have the old bit out in seconds. Did this with an NGK spark plug that broke in my partner's 3 series. Worked a treat

Morgenster
06-14-2007, 03:03 PM
I had mine rethreaded to the next size. It now has MB plug:p

repenttokyo
06-14-2007, 03:20 PM
Take your 'good' bolt to an engineering outlet and get them to sort out a tap for you. You will have the old bit out in seconds. Did this with an NGK spark plug that broke in my partner's 3 series. Worked a treat

I'm going to do that tonight when the missus gets back with the second car. I feel like an idiot.

632 Regal
06-14-2007, 03:48 PM
I twice did something even stupider
I feel like an idiot.

try an ez out first, you should be able to at least tighten it so it falls off in the oil pan then run a tap of the same thread. 1cm of missing threads wont hurt a thing.

snopro67
06-14-2007, 06:43 PM
Buy product 1087 from this company.

My oil pan was stripped out when I bought the car.
I put in one of these: p/n 1087

http://www.cgenterprises.com/drain_plugs_oversize_repair.htm

I did shorten it slightly after I bought it, I can't remember if there was a clearance issure or what.

I put a new fiber washer on every time I change the oil = no leaks

BTW nobody around my area sold an oversize 12mm X 1.5 (autozone etc.)

repenttokyo
06-14-2007, 06:55 PM
i managed to get the bolt out with a tap - hopefully the new drain plug will continue to hold. thanks for everyone's help, it's been a trying day.

Ross
06-14-2007, 06:59 PM
Get the broken plug out with an easy(ha) out. Run a thread chaser or tap carefully in the hole. There are lots of threads in there and even if a little buggered out to hold enough to snug up a drain plug.
Use a new aluminum or copper washer every time.
Barney Paul Edwards, would you post a pic of the ones you are talking about please, sounds interesting.