PDA

View Full Version : obc problem(here you go shogun)

bmwrp8
06-14-2007, 06:47 AM
my obc froze cleaned the contacts with contact cleaner still nothing now it froze here is the pic.
sorry for the quality its a camera phone... any thoughts??

shogun
06-14-2007, 09:50 AM
o.k., asked on the German E34 forum and got the following detailed information (translation here):

In a normal situation of a pixel test it looks like in the above pic.

However, if it is frozen in that position:
pull the OBC out and wait 10 minutes.
Then install it again.

It is of importance that during that time the ignition is off!

In case the problem still exists after that trial, then most probably a capacitor inside the OBC is defective.

(capacitor can be charged, but by some reason cannot discharge)

Defective capacitors can be recognized in most cases by visual inspection, either some sticky matter can be found outside the capacitor, or it shows expansions at the upper side.
See the pictures below, expanded capacitor, and in pic 2 one can see the liquid on/below the capacitors.

In such a case the capacitor has to be replaced, best by someone who has some experience with the soldering iron and soldering of electronics.
I hope I could help.

greetings fuchzger

http://home.pages.at/knalle/bilder/mk/elko1.jpg
http://www.fabiankeil.de/blog-surrogat/2006/03/18/netzteil-ausschnitt-versiffte-kondensatoren-500x333.jpg
-------------------------------------

Please let us know if that helps.

dennyg
06-14-2007, 10:36 AM
my obc froze cleaned the contacts with contact cleaner still nothing now it froze here is the pic.
sorry for the quality its a camera phone... any thoughts??
My wife is going to ph July first if by chance you need another one I can sell you one for 30 and she can bring it with her then. She will be in Manila for a few days so you could work something out if needed. Let me know....Denny

bmwrp8
06-14-2007, 10:47 AM
thankyou for the reply shogun...i've pulled out the obc for 15mins then reconnected again here's what happened but still frozen here's some pix at the first pix I thought it was fixed but still it was frozen...then turned the ignition of then on again next pics happens...shall I go ahead with the capacitors??

shogun
06-14-2007, 11:03 AM
Try to change the capacitors, best is you change them all, then you can exclude the capacitors completely, if that does not help. Some capacitors dry out and it cannot be seen from outside that they are defective, just by measuring them.

Will see next step after you changed the caps.

For disassembling the OBC, go to my website below and there is a link to Jon Evans (evansweb) , he has 3 instructions there in detail, one for disassembling, one for changing the display color and the final one for assembling it again.

bmwrp8
06-14-2007, 11:24 AM
thankyou shogun:D

bmwrp8
06-14-2007, 01:03 PM
My wife is going to ph July first if by chance you need another one I can sell you one for 30 and she can bring it with her then. She will be in Manila for a few days so you could work something out if needed. Let me know....Denny

dennyg i sent you a p.m

shogun
06-15-2007, 07:59 AM
Feedback from Germany:
the newest pics you show are not very promising.
Looks like you have to change to another OBC.

2 possibilities:
Either the IC is defective or the 7 segment display always get's faulty signals.

To change components is only possible if you have an experienced electronic expert.
Everything else is too expensive.
Do you have the possibility to try another OBC in your car, just to make sure that the fault is in the OBC?
Or wait till July till the one comes from the US.

bmwrp8
06-15-2007, 11:46 PM
i tried borrowing my friends OBC and it worked fine I guess mine's shot.I'll wait for the one in US in july:) thanks so much shogun...regards:)