PDA

View Full Version : How smooth are 535i manual transmissions supposed to be?

J.DeFeo
06-13-2007, 06:18 AM
My roommate recently purchased a '96 328is, and I got a chance to drive it. It didn't have anywhere near the road feel or communication that my e34 does, but one thing it did have on it was the transmission was smooth as silk. As in, there was little to no resistance in the clutch or shifter. I could shift much faster and more accurately than in my 535i. The clutch feel was nowhere as good, and I just attribute most of that to the fact that it's a newer hydraulic system. But the shifter got me thinking - my shifter is pretty notchy and you really have to slam it into gear to shift quickly. Is this just a consequence of it having a much older transmission, or is there something wrong? 2nd gear is especially troublesome; it feels like it's fighting me when I shift from 1st.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think there's any comparison - the e34 is better built, has a much nicer interior, and is better (if slightly more difficult) to drive. But damn the transmission in the e36 was just heavenly.

Ferret
06-13-2007, 06:25 AM
Dont forget that the box on the 535 has to put up with a hell of a lot of stress from that engine...

I wouldnt be surprised if your synchromeshes were getting a little angry by 120k - when was the gearboxes oil last changed out?

Give it a flush and molyslip it to see if you can get the synchros back up to their max efficiency.

ThoreauHD
06-13-2007, 06:32 AM
My transmission was a mess too until I changed the trans/differential fluid and replaced the guibo. Redline is your friend.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/toasty0z/own3d.jpg

J.DeFeo
06-13-2007, 06:40 AM
My transmission was a mess too until I changed the trans/differential fluid and replaced the guibo. Redline is your friend.

I bought some Redline D4 fluid to replace it with, haven't gotten a chance to put it in yet. You think that will make a big difference?

And what is a guibo? Never heard that term before.

ThoreauHD
06-13-2007, 06:51 AM
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=33421&highlight=guibo

It's the rubber cushion on your transmission that gets torn to shreds after 80K miles.

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/6522/p10004331cs9.jpg

bmwrp8
06-13-2007, 06:52 AM
yes changing the trans.fluid will make a big diff. esp. if you haven't changed it for a looonng time...anyway bout the guibo or some call it flex disk here yo go http://bmwe34.net/e34main/Maintenance/Transmission/CenterBearing.htm

e34.535i.sport
06-13-2007, 07:02 PM
If i cain it from the lights it'll give some resistance from 1st to 2nd but i'm not worried, as my e46 (1999) used to be a lot worse than that especially when cold. When driving normally it shifts in ok so i'd probably contribute a lot of it to stress from the power of the 3.4litre lump when shifting at speed. After reading this though i'll prob change the gearbox oil in the summer holidays - see what happens. Don't like the sound of changing that 'guibo' though. Looks tricky. :p

Qube
06-14-2007, 12:25 PM
Mine feels good, but notchy with the Z3M shifter. Compared to my old Passat (1998 B5), it's tough. I remember that I could literally blow on the shifter and it would go into gear. Ok maybe not that light but meh. Test drove a manual Beetle three years ago, same thing. Don't like it. I like the shifts nice and defined.

Robin-535im
06-14-2007, 01:33 PM
I'd personally suggest Redline MTL in the 5-speed, though if it's really cold where you live that may be too notchy still. Mine's notchy in cold weather until the gearbox warms up but otherwise good.

Shift linkage is a "weak" point - often you get slop in the various bushings and cups that connect the shifter to the tranny. It is straightforward to fix, there have been multiple posts (for which *I'm* too lazy to search.. :) ) that will tell you what to fix and how. Consider a shorter throw arm at the same time for improved response.

Tranny mount bushings also make shifting hard if they're worn, as the geometry can be out of alignment for getting into gears 2 and 4. Sometimes the bushings are completely shot, but a its a simple replacement task and pretty cheap.

If I were you I would get a set of new shift bushings/clips and a shorter throw shifter (I use a z8 shifter - works great) and new tranny mounts and spend a few hours to swap it all in, plus the MTL. You will LOVE how it transforms the shifting!

- Robin

Old F4 Pilot
06-16-2007, 07:00 PM
I just had my 1990, 535i in to my BMW dealer for its servicing, I have some really loud drive train noise both on and off power, that disappears when the clutch is pushed-in. The 5-speed was drained and refilled w/80 wt hypoid gear lube, the rear-end was topped-off, the drive shaft center bearing was checked as was the rubber connector. The sound was isolated to the differential. So now I have to decide if I really want to keep the car & get another diff for it. Question, what fits? Oh by the way, after 267,000 miles on the M30, my 5-speed shifts like my old corvette M-22 "rock crusher", slicker-N-goose grease! I jumped on a mustang GT 5 litre the other day and give him a damn good run for his money. He couldn't believe an old guy like me with a 6-cylinder almost did him in.

John B.
06-16-2007, 08:31 PM
I tried both Redline MTL & Mobil 1 synth ATF in my 90 535i but it shifts best with plain old $2 a qt Dextron 3 from Napa.

BigTed00
06-17-2007, 09:51 AM
I tried both Redline MTL & Mobil 1 synth ATF in my 90 535i but it shifts best with plain old $2 a qt Dextron 3 from Napa.

my 535i shifts smooth as silk :D

and I must agree with the above poster. On my '96 328is I switched to Purple Power or something like that, and was NOT impressed. Redline and others are not worth it in my experience.

BigTed00
06-17-2007, 09:57 AM
I just had my 1990, 535i in to my BMW dealer for its servicing, I have some really loud drive train noise both on and off power, that disappears when the clutch is pushed-in. The 5-speed was drained and refilled w/80 wt hypoid gear lube, the rear-end was topped-off, the drive shaft center bearing was checked as was the rubber connector. The sound was isolated to the differential. So now I have to decide if I really want to keep the car & get another diff for it. Question, what fits? Oh by the way, after 267,000 miles on the M30, my 5-speed shifts like my old corvette M-22 "rock crusher", slicker-N-goose grease! I jumped on a mustang GT 5 litre the other day and give him a damn good run for his money. He couldn't believe an old guy like me with a 6-cylinder almost did him in.

so your differential is toast? OUCH

I have the same symptoms as you. When the clutch is pushed in or if I'm accelerating I have no drivetrain noise, however when coasting in gear the noise is very apparent.

Good news is that I'm fairly sure differentials can be located for cheap

ILoveMPower
06-18-2007, 08:11 AM
Yeah I love the feel of my car shifting, but as of late she has had some trouble taking 2nd gear if I get on it too much in first... is this my synchros calling for some fresh lube?