PDA

View Full Version : Timing Chain Cover gasket leaks

Jehu
06-11-2007, 06:35 PM
Saw it today at one of the local BMW shops while up on the lift. A goose neck bulb from up underneath straight up revealed one clear shiny metal spot with fresh oil where everything else around it was black gunk. They explained its a fairly involved job taking the alternator and water pump off that the water pump removal will disturb lines going to the rear of the head necessitating the removal of the intake valve which of course means new gaskets there but also the oil pan. I guess about $2,000 .00 and he could neither confirm nor deny it so i await a proper quote. Whats a fair price to replace the gaskets on the Timing Chain cover on the 540 M60?

Alpinewhite
06-13-2007, 03:01 PM
Is it upper timing cover or lower? I heard it is the upper timing cover that often leaks. I guess for upper it is not necessary to remove water pump.

Arun

Jehu
06-13-2007, 03:50 PM
Lower on the drivers side.... he was telling me the oil pan,intake manifold, water pump and alternator as well i assume as the radiator need to come out. Another shop has since told me its about a 10hr job and he's $85/hr so that's good.

They think its #11 on the drivers side.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE53&mospid=47410&btnr=11_1230&hg=11&fg=10

trevortheleper
06-13-2007, 07:49 PM
Just had gasket on left bank on my 1995 e34 530i touring changed at independant garage. $250 parts and $700 labour. Right bank easier.

Bill R.
06-13-2007, 08:05 PM
flat rate time guide you go by, its from about 12.5 hours to 19.5 hours for the lower timing cover seals and gaskets to be replaced. Bmw's ksd comes out to slightly under 13 hours. Mitchell and alldata range up to 19.5 in their guides. Unless it was fairly large leak I wouldn't dream of paying that. I don't believe that its a pressure leak at that location so i'd probably just remove enough stuff to get at the outside of the timing cover and clean it good with brake spray cleaner, get it completely clean then run a bead of RTV down the outside cover seam to reseal it and see if that stops it. I'd wait at least a day for the rtv to cure before starting the engine to check for leaks.

Lower on the drivers side.... he was telling me the oil pan,intake manifold, water pump and alternator as well i assume as the radiator need to come out. Another shop has since told me its about a 10hr job and he's $85/hr so that's good.

They think its #11 on the drivers side.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE53&mospid=47410&btnr=11_1230&hg=11&fg=10

Jehu
06-13-2007, 08:18 PM
flat rate time guide you go by, its from about 12.5 hours to 19.5 hours for the lower timing cover seals and gaskets to be replaced. Bmw's ksd comes out to slightly under 13 hours. Mitchell and alldata range up to 19.5 in their guides. Unless it was fairly large leak I wouldn't dream of paying that. I don't believe that its a pressure leak at that location so i'd probably just remove enough stuff to get at the outside of the timing cover and clean it good with brake spray cleaner, get it completely clean then run a bead of RTV down the outside cover seam to reseal it and see if that stops it. I'd wait at least a day for the rtv to cure before starting the engine to check for leaks.

I drive it pretty much daily, the approximate time between the Low Oil level warnings after adding about a half-2/3 qt was about three weeks. It leaves an oil stain about the size of the palm of your hand after stopping when up to operating temp then stops i assume after the oil drains down past that point. I'll mention your RTV suggestion to the shop and see . The section of metal which was clean and shiny was about one inch in length weather that means the entire corresponding gasket is gone or the action of the leaking washes that far from a much smaller opening i wouldn't venture to guess but i know where to look and i'll show the Shop I have in mind .Thanks.

e34musician
01-21-2008, 09:54 AM
Sorry to bring up an old tread. I seem to have the same problem on the driver side time chain cover. It has been a very slow leak, but now it's getting worst. Is this the right part?

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=gpjrah55hwhkpq45ekyxnw45&partnumber=11141436978

Jehu, did you end up fixing this? I will get a quote from my mechanic in a couple of days.