PDA

View Full Version : service indicator batteries ?

bones
06-10-2007, 10:37 PM
HELP! im restoring a 1989 525i,production date 12-88.ok everyone told me bmw was gonna be the biggest challenge of my life,electronically prehistoric with star wars complexity.ive got intermittent guage cluster issues.first off there are no service board ind batteries in this instrument cluster.is this a true statement?im gonna throw the 5 caps at it tommorrow and see if that helps.no fuel guage function,service ind works somtimes for no apparent reason at all,instrument lighting was intermittent also but found that to be a bad connector issue.any advice would be greatly appreciated.im head over heels about this car,i will prevail cause it's just a very cool car to drive.thanks

shogun
06-10-2007, 11:13 PM
There are no batteries inside like on the E30 clusters. Change the capacitors and see what happens with the faults.
In some clusters there are instead 47mF also 22mF installed, open your cluster then you see what is inside. Better are capacitors which can stand a temperature of 105° Celsius. Because in summer time the inside temperatures are hot (when car parked) and also the chips produce heat. That is accdg to my opinion the reasons why the capacitors dry up.

I have yesterday changed on a cluster with grey backplate the capacitors. There are 2 47mF 40 Volt and 3 220mF 16 Volt.
I have replaced them ALL with 35 Volt ones.
You just have to pay attention to the diameter, otherwise they do not fit, max. thickness/diameter of 10 mm is possible and NOT high than 16 mm.

The distance between the "feet/legs" of the capacitor should be 5 mm.