PDA

View Full Version : OT: sooooo...anyone else pissed off about the sopranos finale ending?

ryan roopnarine
06-10-2007, 09:56 PM
i'm a mediocre (now) english major, and i could have written 6 different, more compelling ways to end it than that. seriously, I wrote them out to try to figure out how the show was going to end and win a few bucks. it wouldn't have been the end of the world to have sent tony to jail for tax evasion &c. &c. david chase copped out, he copied all of the elements of the prototypical "gangster" story, all of the things that people watched the show for, and decided to have some righteous indignation over all of those stories ending with a downfall. weak sauce.

MBXB
06-10-2007, 10:36 PM
All that hype for a lousy ending!!?? They said Chase likes to leave loose ends, but that was too loose. Probably setting the stage for a Sopranos movie.

Macv
06-10-2007, 10:50 PM
Yeah, it sucked. But it was good. For such a well liked show, they can end it anyway they want.

too loose

Ha

ryan roopnarine
06-10-2007, 11:00 PM
i'll certainly be chortling when, inevitably, the astronomical number of HBO cancellations is reflected in cable bills for the next month. awful. I knew/they knew it was coming, but this ending gives me a little pleasure in it happening. thank you jerk, yeah, now we know you aren't afraid to crap on the people that watched your show. all of the artsy-fartsy explanations in the world can't cover up such a poorly executed cop-out.

attack eagle
06-10-2007, 11:12 PM
I quit watching that show when it started going down hill almost 4-5 years ago.

Hell I always thought the premise of the show was a blatant rip off of "Analyze This" .

winfred
06-10-2007, 11:15 PM
eh, never seen it but it does/did have a big following, i am more of a sci fi person, two episodes of stargate left, one season of battlestar galactica left, and where the **** is dr who? is someone at sci fi network ****ing smoking crack?! this **** of holding a season for 6-9 months is the death of many of my favorite shows, they don't even show reruns when it's off, they got me into eureka and then god dammit it's gone for 6-8 months but at least they are showing it's returning soon, theres not many fan bases more fanatical then sci fi geeks (no i've never dressed up or gone to any loser conventions) but they sure are abusing that following a **** load

ryan roopnarine
06-10-2007, 11:20 PM
analyse this came out at the end of 1999. the first episode of this was in january or spring of 1999. how would this be a rip off of that?

attack eagle
06-10-2007, 11:51 PM
Movie scripts and the general premise are well known a couple of years before the movies are released. That is why you wind up with movies like Armageddon and Deep Impact being released in the same general time frame.
And the movie was from MARCH 5th 1999, the pilot episode of the show was January 10th 1999.

You tell me it is impossible that the writer was influenced by the movie's premise?

IN any case, I'm glad the stupid show is over. Maybe they can do a good historical miniseries like "from the Earth to the Moon" or "Band of Brothers" again now, because IMHO Sopranos was jsut foul mouthed garbage TV.

ThoreauHD
06-11-2007, 12:47 AM
Stargate ended last year. I watched it all from Europe's sky tv network. And Dr. Who is in its second season now. If you want to watch all the seasons shows I suggest a little number called usenetserver.com. It's invaluable and runs on internet time- not when tv networks decide to get off their butt and show a season. The ending of stargate was kinda weak too, but you can't have McGuyver acting until he's 70. It's just cruel. Dr. Who's director also says he won't direct passed season 2. He says they need new blood, and I think he might be right. He's a certifiable fruitloop and it rubs the show away from science and more toward the village people.

In any case, a good newsreader like newsleecher and the above server and you'll be able to watch whatever you want on the planet without caveat. But you have to go to Sweden or China to watch it because in the US, when tv signals go through your house you aren't allowed to watch them. In the US it's technically illegal even though they are irradiating you and your family. Have fun.

rufryder
06-11-2007, 11:18 AM
I,myself, was really disappointed with the ending! I couldn't believe that they would end something like that. What the fudge were they thinking?!! Leave the audiences hanging and give them crap to talk about?? It was a real disappointment!
HBO sucks!

repenttokyo
06-11-2007, 12:06 PM
it allows them to make a spinoff series or a movie, with a built in audience that wants to know what happened.

mikell
06-11-2007, 01:51 PM
New BMWs - by the end, Tony had put both of his kids in new Bimmers - an e46 M3 for that worthless simp "AJ", and a 5er for the daughter.
As for the ending - it got everyone talking, didn't it? Savvy marketing - remember "New Coke"?

DABIMR
06-11-2007, 02:09 PM
New BMWs - by the end, Tony had put both of his kids in new Bimmers - an e46 M3 for that worthless simp "AJ", and a 5er for the daughter.
As for the ending - it got everyone talking, didn't it? Savvy marketing - remember "New Coke"?
Actually, it was a Lexus IS250.. Should've sprung for the IS350..:p

markus
06-11-2007, 04:00 PM
am i the only one who has never watched this show? all day everyone was talking about the sopranos.

repenttokyo
06-11-2007, 04:26 PM
i've never seen a single episode.

Dr. evil
06-11-2007, 06:42 PM
it was pretty funny when the kid is making out with his girlfriend and the car catches on fire when he parkes in the leaves........ remindes me of something that would happen to me

ltflint
06-13-2007, 12:13 AM
Gave me new respect for AJ. Went from the XTerra to an e46 M3 to get away from the "SUV."

steve0suprem0
06-13-2007, 04:10 PM
i was at my mom's all weekend, and i finally saw it...

the m3 was the only thing worth seeing in that show. and what the hell was the point of that ending??? i thought that weird guy in the diner was gonna whack tony, but no, he just had to pee. and then it ends and all we got from it is that meadow can't parallel park. WTF???

Russell
06-13-2007, 04:52 PM
No!