PDA

View Full Version : 540i hot start problem

Eric540i
06-10-2007, 12:40 PM
After blasting down the Autobahn in 30°C+ heat the car started stumbling as though starved of fuel.

Fortunately this happened only a few hundred metres from home. It quickly stalled and - some 3 hours later - still won't start.

My car cranks over fine but that's it. There is a faint smell of fuel under the hood but I can't identify where it's coming from.

Despite having 'rested' for over 3 hours I noticed that the engine was still very hot.

Is vapor-lock a problem on these cars? (Admittedly, searching this forum, it appears not to be).

Reading the symptoms described in various threads the only things I found that might be the problem are the fuel-filters and check-valve.
Any other suggestions before I commit myself?

Thanks in advance.

Dr. evil
06-10-2007, 11:23 PM
I'm pretty sure that fuel injected cars can't get vapor lock.

Does the car start at all ??

compmore
06-11-2007, 02:28 AM
had a similar problem with mine and it was the fuel filters.in fact they were so badly blocked it had also damaged the pump

geoff

mattyb
06-11-2007, 05:45 AM
odd this is mentioned just after same problems occured just recently. turned out to be oil on top of spark plugs - pan valley gaskets failed, oil atop plugs and coil shorting. At first diagniosed as fuel supply issue but pulled down and realised above issued confirmed. will post a few pics when i can but have a look at this in the the mean time.