PDA

View Full Version : No more Mildew

Jehu
06-09-2007, 09:24 PM
Took the time to mix a 10% bleach solution and spray it in the air ducts behind the fuse box and the DME box, those are the right spots right when running the vents straight no recirculation for about five minutes w/o heat or a/c then ran it hot for another few minutes till the blech oder faded then set the Vent timer and locked her up. Two hours later went for a drive and all smelled fine on all settings. Not sure if the bleach spray or the Vent timer did it but its nice not to gag when i turn on the blower.

Russell
06-10-2007, 08:19 AM
Interesting. I do not have any odors that I am aware of. However, I may just do it as preventative maintenance. BTW, I use the vent timer every day in hot weather. Set it for a few minutes just before i leave the office. However, you may not want to use your vent timer, on a daily basis, if your battery is old or weak.

Jehu
06-10-2007, 11:40 AM
The unpleasant odor would emerge when using the vents unrecirculated .With the recirc button on it was fine. I read that would be mildew growing from condensation remaining in the ducts . I hadn't used the Vent Timer so this must be why you've never encountered the smell. I know it gets pleanty hot and humid in KY so if you use the a/c alot it would probably develop had you never used that vent timer.

Russell
06-10-2007, 11:50 AM
just started using the vent timer this summer. FYI, I generally use the ac all summer long. Hardly ever use recirc. No sure how I avoided mildew smell.

Jehu
06-10-2007, 11:52 AM
maybe i have a leak then. good for you though . its a very unpleasant aroma...