PDA

View Full Version : How do you load the control arms

Kibokojoe
06-08-2007, 07:59 PM
I am getting ready to replace the upper and lower control arms. Is it ok to install the control arms while the car is on jack stands but not tighten the through bolts? Then lower the vehicle and roll the front end up on ramps and then tighten the though bolts?

Zeuk in Oz
06-08-2007, 08:43 PM
I am getting ready to replace the upper and lower control arms. Is it ok to install the control arms while the car is on jack stands but not tighten the through bolts? Then lower the vehicle and roll the front end up on ramps and then tighten the though bolts?
Yes. I tightened everything apart from final torquing, then drove it up on stands, loaded it with bodies according to Bentley, and then torqued everything.

gale
06-08-2007, 08:48 PM
That should work ok. Just make sure you roll it back & forward enough distance so the wheels squat out enough to reach the normal ride height. What I do instead of ramps is set it down on a stack of 2 or 3 2x12's set on top of pipe rollers on the floor. That way with a couple bounces the tires are free to slide outwards and the car settles into it's normal height. I also put about 150 lbs of weights in the car (Bentleys says xxx lbs of sandbags).

Kibokojoe
06-08-2007, 09:13 PM
You mean you had people sit in the car while you final torqued the arms?

Yes. I tightened everything apart from final torquing, then drove it up on stands, loaded it with bodies according to Bentley, and then torqued everything.

Robin-535im
06-08-2007, 10:55 PM
I did the math once (free body diagram, sum(Fx = 0) etc...) Bentley's loading equated to 50 lbs directly above each wheel. I used a blanket with some play sand sandbags I had sitting around, put it on top of the fender in line with the axle. Didn't squat much, but then again most of us have lowered hotrod springs that probably don't move nearly as much as the stock ones. As long as it's under it's own weight it's probably fine IMHO.

markus
06-08-2007, 11:37 PM
drive on ramps with bolts loose and torque em down. i think its 57ft lbs.

Zeuk in Oz
06-09-2007, 12:32 AM
You mean you had people sit in the car while you final torqued the arms?
Yes.

I have the ramps on a slight grass slope so that the car is level when it is on ramps.

I then put people in it according to Bentley.

I then torque the thrust arms.

Kibokojoe
06-09-2007, 02:00 PM
Doesn't matter if the car in on an angle? Ramps in front no ramps in back?

gale
06-09-2007, 03:44 PM
Won't make alot of difference. Maybe add 10% more weight to compensate.

Whackamac
06-10-2007, 01:32 PM
I did it the easy way. With the rim off and the car on stands, I jacked up the suspension from under the rotor (the lower ball joint is located just below the rotor line) and jacked up the shock until it floated off the stand. Then I torqued...

2 months ago and no problems... Just remember, if you do sway links, you will probably have to retorque the bolts on them after a month or so as you may get the sway "clunk"